Swordsmanship & Parenting for Fools

Wet sandpaper dragging across arm woke her early morning. Adira grumbled out a few choice swear words at being wet two mornings in a row, but calms meeting the earth. Bandages lay shredded on floor as clarity disperses fog to find large paws holding down.

Kale's licking her arms.

"What the fuck are you doing?" She strains to get away, more so confused than angry.

Healing your wounds from that child. He's devoid of usual kindness, glaring at the cub watching from her feet. Fastest way to stop pain and bleeding without a bond.

"You woke up grumpy this morning. The child was scared and from the black market." She wanted Kale to know that the cub wasn't stolen, that she's trying to protect it. Explain herself so she wouldn't lose a friend.

Is that all? Why won't you speak to me in mind? His head whips around staring intensely.

Give me a break. I had a rough night and got woken up by being licked. She bites back with fire in eyes at the childish behavior. Both stubborn, they don't move until whine of cub directed to Kale.

Allow me to continue.

Fine. Agitated, she holds out both arms. The sensation brings tingles as tongue runs over wounds, flesh closes after three. He moves onto right growling when cub tries to shuffle closer. What is your problem?

I don't like him. Kale prods at thigh and she complies by removing the bandage. It appeared a lot worse than she imagined; bruised, puncture holes, jagged scratches.

He is only a child.

He huffs almost containing another growl. Yet he knows the most sacred rule and has still caused harm.

Adira throws off the paws suddenly, seemingly to leap and hold cub in arms while thudding onto floor. She brightly smiles at the seventy pound fluff. "It's not your fault. You were scared."

The cub nods apologetically until shadow looms over; Kale traps them under, engulfing them both. He has still wronged.

Then help him learn better. Her heart thumps with a creeping scare at the energy radiating from the upset bear. He couldn't hurt her—that's what she repeated over and over. Yet a slight flinch couldn't be stopped when his head bowed in submission. Body relaxes at delicate touch of nose on cheek and apology for accidental scare.

Release your hold. And he's back to sounding normal. Adira holds a laugh in at the cub's face from being picked up by the neck, limply hanging out of mouth. The original father and mother must be long dead; pelts probably adorn some foul room as a rug.

"I think you'd make a great mother." She says it with earnest but Kale pauses mid-grooming to stare her down, golden fur sticking to tongue.

I don't see you eagerly wanting to groom the damn urchin.

She cackles knowing damn well the child had hair sticking up in all directions from static. In this moment, not an ounce of desire to return to Earth could manifest. Only dreadful revenge, loneliness welcomed on plagued soil. While Astaria had more than plenty of equal disease, laughter flew easily. Was it alright for her to wish to stay? Find some semblance of happiness in a world that beckoned with new possibilities? Yes. Yes it is.

She hoped for the units painful, excruciating death one last time before getting dressed to start sword training. "You two can stay in here if wanted. Although, the bed might not support you as a bear."

It is winter after all and bears hibernate. Why not allow him the comfort?

You would allow me to rest in your bed?