2.2. Carbon Flavoured Eggs?

Start from the beginning

"That's hardly my fault." Y/N pointed out. "And also, aren't I just going to receive passes from you?"

"Probably. But that doesn't mean our teammates are going to be useless."

"Didn't you call them all complete shit?"

"That's not the point." Sae watched Y/N as he went for another spoon of rice. "I won't always be around to give you passes during the game."

"Whatever." Y/N stuffed more food into his mouth, effectively silencing himself. Sae just rolled his eyes at the smaller boy's childishness, and continued talking.

"We're going to go see the rest of the U-20 team, get to know them, go out for dinner. And maybe we'll play with them, but that's unlikely." Sae stared across at him. "Sound good?"

"Yup." Y/N mumbled around a mouthful of food. "But you're giving me all the passes anyway."

"All the good passes will come from me. You'll still get bad ones from the rest of the team. That is, if they let you play."

"Hmm?"

Sae's eyes flashed with a little frustration. "The Japanese U-20 team has been at the top of the nation for too long, without any real challenge or change. They're complacent, prideful, and arrogant."

"How would that stop me from playing?"

"You're just a kid. You should be in high school, not playing against Japan's best." Sae paused. "At least, that's how they see it. They're probably going to be too arrogant, too confident to even try using you."

"So what's your plan to let me play?"

"Oh, I don't have one."

That caught Y/N's attention. He looked up, surprised. "Really?"

"They'll only put you on if they're losing badly. If someone's pride is injured, they'll use any measures in order to restore it. That includes using someone like you."

"Do you think they'll lose badly?"

"Of course." Sae reached for his spoon. "They're all terrible. As underdeveloped as the Bluelock players are, they'll come out on top pretty comfortably."

"Then it's all good!" Y/N chirped. He immediately returned to his food, smiling as he enjoyed the late breakfast and slow start to the day.

"I wouldn't say that." Ever the optimistic ray of sunshine, Sae's serious face didn't change one bit. "It means you'll have limited time to show yourself off to the world. And if the U-20 team is losing badly, you might go on just to become a laughing stock."

"It's better than nothing, that's all that matters!" Y/N kept eating. He was obviously enjoying Sae's food, smiling brightly as he spoke.

His happy voice filled the usually quiet, dull apartment, Sae just sitting across from him and listening. Bright rays of sunlight shone through the large windows, bathing the kitchen in light. For the rest of the meal, as Y/N commented on the food, the training, the U-20 team, even on the apartment, Sae just listened.

It was oddly calming. Hearing Y/N's voice in the huge penthouse, it was relaxing. It gave the huge, cold space life in a way, and Sae'd come to realise that over the past weeks. The messy guest bed that Y/N never made in the morning, the various items Sae'd bought for him tucked in the cupboard in his room, the dirty dishes in the sink, everything Y/N did gave the penthouse life.

He didn't want to admit it, but he could get used to it.

🥕🥕🥕

"Sae, hello!" The captain of the U-20 team, Oliver Aiku, greeted Sae warmly. He was tall, with a well-built, well-rounded physique and messy black hair that went past his eyes. "And...?"