Chapter Seven: Madison

Start from the beginning

My hands have been shaking and I have been fumbling with my words again. I am afraid, I am scared to death that Ethan will find me or my babies. I owe Bella so much for helping me out today, she is the best friend that I have ever had.

"Hey Lucas, you are in early today." Bella said, as I looked up and locked eyes with him.

"Since I have plans later today, I had to get errands done sooner than normal." He replied with a half-smile. He looks like he has something on his mind. Is something troubling him?

"If it is that big of a deal, Maddie and I will take care of it." Bella told him with irritation in her voice. Hands on hips and a glare on her face. Did I do something to upset Lucas? Did I wait too long?

"No, of course not. I am going to take them, what is going on in here?" he questioned, staring the both of us down.

"Nothing" I told him.

"Something is up with Maddie, but she won't tell me." Bella replied, crossing her arms over her chest. Throw me to the wolf, why don't you?

"I told you I was fine, Bella." I said, moving my eyes away from them. Head falling, fingers fidgeting again, I wish I could overcome my anxiety.

"Something is wrong Maddie. I can tell." Bella replied placing her hands on my shoulders.

"I got another message this morning." I whispered; I could not keep it from them. They would be more upset with me if they found out before I told them.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Bella asked, looking into my eyes.

"Why didn't you call me?" Lucas questioned, taking a glance at him, our eyes meeting.

"I was afraid." I told them honestly, keeping eye contact with Lucas.

"Next message he sends, tell me right away. I worry about you." He told me. "I will do everything I can to protect y'all."

"What did it say?" Bellas asked.

"Here, you can read it." I told them, finding the message and opening it. I handed my phone to Bella; I wrapped my arms around my middle. Bella looked at my phone and passed it to Lucas.

"That is messed up. Using a child's nursery rhyme like that, who does that?" Bella asked hugging me.

"I will be okay. I promise when he texts me again, I will let you know, I promise not to hesitate to get ahold of one of you."

"Thank you, Maddie. I worry about you too. Go take a few minutes to calm down. I will hold down the fort." Bella said, returning my phone to my hand.

"Do you want to stand outside, and get some fresh air? I would like to talk to you if that is, okay?" Lucas asked, nodding towards the door.

"Yeah, I would like that." I replied, for some reason I always want to open up to him. I want him to know how I feel. I want him to know that one day I want to tell him everything. Tell him all the ways Ethan treated me.

"Let's go, Darlin." Lucas replied, opening the door for me. I had plenty of time before the lunch crowd came in. I stepped past him, walking away from the door. I leaned up against the wall, watching as Lucas did the same.

"What would you like to talk about?" I asked quietly.

"For one, I do not like the fact that I cannot keep an eye on you all the time and keep you safe." he admitted, moving his head to face me. "I don't like the fact that I won't be there when you need me. I do not know if I could handle that."