Chapter Three: Madison

Last night was once again, filled with nightmares of Ethan. I always get them. Always wondering if he will come looking for us. What if he already knows where we are?

I should not be looking over my shoulder, waiting to find Ethan standing there. There is a restraining order for him to stay away from us. That paper did not stand in his way the last time he found us. He walked right through it, thinking he was above the law. What was I thinking? Thinking I could run and hide from him. He always finds us, always afraid that he might take the kids. Why did I not see the signs in the beginning?

"What time do you get off, tonight?" Mom asked, taking me from my thoughts. I got a call from Andrea this morning, telling me that I got the job. I go in at noon, to start my training.

"I work till midnight; I will come straight home. Keep the doors locked and keep a close eye on the children." I have told mom some things, but she still does not know everything that happened. Some of it is too embarrassing for me. Usually, she tries to one up me. No matter what I tell her.

"I always do." She told me.

"Be good for grandma." I said as I gave hugs and kisses out. "I love y'all and I will see you in the morning." I told them, heading for the door.

My nerves always get the best of me. Always thinking that I will mess something up. Thanks to my dad and Ethan I do not know how to act around people. Never trusting if it is true or not. Always putting a mask on, hiding my true self from the world. Putting on a smile when all I want to do is cry.

Thoughts running overtime, getting tangled up. Why can I not move past this? I need to break free from the hurt and pain. I want to break free from the past. I want to be myself, not the girl who is afraid of everyone. Good thing it does not take long to get to work. Less time for my mind to wander.

Grabbing my bag from the passenger seat, taking a deep breath. I said a little prayer for my first day of work. Praying to be strong and watch over the children, while I am not there.

As I stepped through the door, I put on the mask once again. Hoping to hide how afraid and sad I am. I walked up to the counter, seeing a beautiful woman, around my age. Her dark hair pulled a top her head in a perfect messy bun. Her brown eyes sparkled behind her big, framed glasses. I see we have the same taste in glasses, Mine are like hers.

"Are you Bella?" I asked her, closing the distance.

"I am, are you Madison?" She replied with a smile.

"I am, it is nice to meet you."

"It is good to meet you. I will be working with you on the morning shift. But for the next few days, I will be training you at night. We must see how you do first; I have faith that you will do fine."

"I am sure I can handle it. How long have you worked here?" I asked.

"Since high school, my parents own the place. Do not treat me any different because my parents are the boss." She answered with a serious tone.

"I will not treat you differently, I promise." I reassured her with a true smile. I know what it is like to be treated differently because of your family.

"Good, let me show you around before we get busy." Bella took me around the store, telling me about the job.

************

Having anxiety is not easy, mine is always on high alert. I am hoping that it calms down by tomorrow. I have always had anxiety, always feeling like someone is watching me. Judging my every move. I always wonder if someone likes me for who I am.