7- The disappointment

When Simon walked out the door of the cafeteria, Alyah stood there for a couple more seconds, before Amelia came up to her.
"What was that? Why were you defending him?"
"I wasn't defending him. Justin's an asshole, but this was too much."
Amelia sighs, and Allah crosses her arms as she turns back at the football team, who were all cussing her out.
"Jerks."
She went back to her table, although the wish to go after him was real. Alyah felt so bad for letting them do that to him, for not saying anything about it. But she was certain that when she did defend this boy, the words would all go to her.
-----------------------------//-------------------------------
Later, Simon was sitting in class, all giddy, just because Alyah helped him. Well, yeah, she left him after that, but she touched him. In his hand.
He couldn't stop smiling. Gladly she wasn't in this class. He was fidgeting with his pencil, waiting for class to end. Today, Alyah's dad was supposed to come home.
Simon knew that. Alyah had a very strange relationship with her dad, he came home only periodically, but each time he came home he gave her a gift.
Simon loved watching her be all excited for his expensive gifts. So today he'd be by her house to watch him arrive.
This daydreaming was what got him through the day, with a relentless army of bullies throwing insults at him, mocking him about the picture.
Whatever. He thought. The image of Alyah helping him was enough to tune out all these people.
Later, when they were finished with classes, Simon watched Alyah walk into the car. She looked bummed out about something, and Simon was not happy to see it.
He waved the car goodbye as it drove off. Then he walked, the same distance as the car, only it took him a lot longer.
When he got to her house, he sat in the neighbors bush and waited, watching the windows downstairs.
Meanwhile, Alyah laid in bed, annoyed. At everything. At herself for not doing more to stop Justin, at her dad for failing once again.
She turned her head to the door when she heard a knock, and went to check it out.
She opened the door and her mom was standing there, holding a dark red velvety box.
"What's this?"
She asked, looking down at the flat box.
"A gift. Because of your father not coming, I know you're upset. Maybe this'll soothe you."
Her mom said, with a sweet smile. She just didn't seem to understand that Alyah didn't enjoy her dad coming home because of the gifts. She liked having him in the house, it made them look like a family.
"I don't want it."
Her mom stood there, shocked, before finally computing what her daughter said.
"What? Why not?"
"Because I don't."
She went back in and sat on her bed, watching as her mom walked in after her.
"Honey. Just take it. It's a gift."
"A gift I don't want nor need."
"Yeah, but... I thought you'd be excited."
Alyah rolls her eyes, and her mom places the box on her vanity. She looks at the box for a moment, before walking to Alyah and sitting beside her on the bed.
"What's wrong?"
Alyah looked at her, eyes numb of emotion as she did. Her mom's hand landed on her face and she almost smiled.
"I wanted dad home. Not the gifts."
Alyah lowered her head, and her mom retrieved her hand back to her lap.
"Alyah..."
She looked up again, turning to her mom as she spoke. Alyah felt like her mom was stalling, pushing her away.
"Your dad loves you very much. I love you very much."
She nods, smiling softly as she felt her mom's hand take hers.
"But...There's just things we need to work out, you know?"
Her stomach opened up a pit, and she already knew what was coming. This was the end.
"Are... Are you-"
"We're on a break. A healthy break. We just need to be away from eachother for a while."
Her eyes welled up with tears, expertly covering them with a smile, a weak and shaky smile. She looked down to hide her tears and her mom placed her hand on the back of her head, taking a deep breath.
"Okay... Is he coming home?"
"No, sweetie... He's not. He's staying in Miami for a few months."
Alyah swallowed in a cry, and pushed her mom's hand away, getting up from her bed.
"I need Carly."
She ran out the door, searching for Carla. She slept in a room downstairs and Alyah ran down the stairs as her mom chased her.
"Honey!"
Alyah ignored her and kept walking.
"Carly!" she screamed, as she barged in her room.
She was sitting on an armchair, reading, when Alyah walked in like she owned the place.
Carla noticed the tears in her eyes and put the book down on the table beside the little armchair.
"What's wrong dear?"
Alyah stood in front of the sweet lady, who got up and walked to her. Carla took her hand and looked at Alyah, silently choking on her words.
"Dad...He's not coming..."
"Oh..."
Carla looked over the girl's shoulder, to see her mom standing in the doorway, her eyes narrow and her arms crossed.
"He's staying in Miami for a few months. That's all."
Her mom said, with a cold tone and a distant expression. She didn't seem sad for her daughter, she seemed angry.
"We're on a... healthy break."
"My ass is a healthy break."
Alyah muttered, before hugging Carla, quietly sobbing into her shoulder.
"Alyah, you can't speak to Mrs.Jones like that dear."
Alyah nodded and dug her head deeper into Carla's nightgown, with tears starting to flow freely down her cheeks.
Her makeup was getting wet and eyeliner started running down her cheeks.
"It's okay dear, it'll all work out."
Carla whispered, taking her in sweetly. Her mom, behind them, was furious. Furious she ran to Carla for comfort, furious about her husband and about herself. Furious at everything.
-------------------------------//-----------------------------
Simon started watching this unfold as Alyah ran downstairs, and he watched her sob into her housekeeper's arms.
He was worried, because she had never cried like this. She was devastated, and he couldn't change it.
He watched as her mom stood in the doorway and he watched as she hugged the old woman in front of her.
Simon made a promise to find out who or what hurt her, because he couldn't see his girl so sad.
-----------------------------//-------------------------------
1103 words.
Hit too close to home? Well, me too. Have fun.

ReplyForwardAdd reaction