4- The Bible

It was a very good evening for Alyah. Laying on her bed, she held the notebook in her hands, a smirk playing on her lips. She had showered to try and take the embarrassment away, but nothing gave her the satisfaction of holding the little notebook in her hands.
Something he left behind. Like gold to her. Blackmailing was the obvious next step. But not yet. She wanted him to come to her.
He'd beg for his Bible.
Alyah was laying stomach down on the sheets, freshly showered and on the phone with Amelia.
"He just left it behind?"
Amelia asked.
"Yeah, when he ran."
Alyah was very proud of this achievement of hers. Simon would finally lose his shit.
"Well, have you opened it? See what is there so precious to hide?"
Alyah shifted in bed, sitting up against the headboard while holding the notebook.
It was small and simple, with a leather cover that looked fake, obviously that loser wouldn't buy a real leather notebook. A thin elastic strap holding it closed, just begging to be open.
But she had plans for this tiny Bible.
She threw the notebook on her beside table and picked up the phone she left on the edge of the bed.
"I'll decide what to do tomorrow."
"I think you should just open it."
"I think I should go. Bye."
With that she hung up the phone and threw it next to the notebook on the bedside table.
Simon was frantic looking for the notebook. In his backpack, in his things, in all his jackets, it was madness.
He looked everywhere in his room, but where could it be?
He was panicking, heavy breathing and heart rate filled the silent air around him. He grabbed onto a bunch of his hair, so startled and out of it he couldn't think straight.
Simon's room was a mess, clothes scattered around the floor and books after books laid on the ground. But nothing.
He started being afraid he left it at school but how?
He always had it on him, never put it down anywhere, never took it out unless he'd draw on it and that was rare at school.
Then, he placed a heavy hand on his own chest, gripping his hoodie tightly inside his big hand. That morning, when Alyah...
It hit him. She had the notebook.
His heart nearly stopped as he sat down on his bed, looking forward at the floor in a panic.
The anxiety filling his chest made it hard to breathe, and he could feel his brain shutting off.
A panic attack started, with the knowledge of her possession of the notebook. She hadn't said anything to him, but he knew. It had to be her.
That night was a restless night for Simon, tossing and turning in the cold bed, just waiting to go back to school and talk to Alyah.
-------------------------------//-----------------------------
That morning, as soon as the car dropped her off he was there. Standing in front of her, hand clinging tightly to his backpack strap over his shoulder.
"A-Alyah."
She didn't even need to talk, she just looked up at him and nodded the car away. The driver pulled away and drove off, as Alyah slid the tiny purse she had around her arm up to her shoulder.
"I-I- you have to give it back. I... I-I know you have it and i-"
She cut him off, placing her hand on his arm and pushing him to the side.
"Bye nerd."
She walked away, letting him be there in the parking lot alone.
'A fail.' that's what he thought, in his mind.
He stood there for a couple more minutes, gathering the strength to talk to her again. He ran behind her and because he was afraid to touch her, he stood in front of her again.
"Please."
"I've told you everything I have to tell you. I don't know what you're talking about and I won't give you anything."
She tried pushing him away once more, but he locked his feet down and stared down at her, fists clenched tightly by his side.
"Please."
She stopped, a little surprised with his strength, and rolled her eyes, crossing her arms in front of her chest.
"Look, I don't know what you're talking abo-"
"The notebook. The black notebook you found, it's mine, and I need it back."
She poked her tongue through her cheek, smirking as he insisted.
"Why do you assume I have it?"
"Because I ran away from you and I dropped it. I didn't notice back then but later I found it missing and you're the only one who I interacted with that morning."
"I mean, why do you assume I haven't thrown it away?"
He stopped, eyes wide as hers narrowed. She looked around the parking lot, showing a smile at the football team gathered around the car of one of them. Some waved back, but Justin just hid his face.
"Well... Did you throw it away?"
Simon asked, unsure of anything by this point. She was playing him, for sure, but she was the type to throw something like that away.
It looked like nothing, it was just a notebook. But his problem wasn't her throwing it away, it was her opening it.
"I did."
She muttered, not facing him. She kept her head turned to the football team, forcefully smiling. She knew what they called her behind her back, but they were the ones who came to her, not the opposite.
Simon's stomach opened in a pit and drowned every hope he had.
"Y-You threw it away?"
She turned to him and smiled, again a fake and forced one.
"I did. I threw it away."
"Why?"
"Because... I found it, I keep it. But it was fake leather, I don't touch fake leather. So I threw it away."
She let her arms fall to her side, and watched as he tightened his grip on the strap of his backpack. His knuckles were turning white and she was more happy now than before.
"Bye."
She walked away, and he let her leave, no chasing her this time. He was so affected by her words, it was so cruel.
She just...threw it away.
He was trying really hard to forgive her. He always did. And he did. He smiled, rubbing the place where she touched his arm.
The same spot he had a scar on, from his dad throwing a beer bottle at him. It was like she healed that part of him.
He lowered his head and let his dark bangs fall on his face.
"She's amazing.." he whispered to himself, starting to walk inside the school.
------------------------------//------------------------------
1122 words
Wrote this in the break between classes. Classmates stared. Classmates can fuck off.
Have fun.

ReplyForwardAdd reactionCompose