Chapter 4. An Unexpected Visit, and New Discovery.

1991, London, Shaffer Orphanage

Today it's raining.

The only thing going through her head that really stood out to her was that one fact, bringing along the cold and strong wind with its pathetic attempt in sweeping away a victim or three, not that she believed that could ever happen.

"It's bloody freezing!"

Shifting her position on her bed, dark eyes lazily drifting to the source.

Jenny Abbott.

Who was this Jenny character you dare ask? Well, let me tell you who she is and of her importance in this book; none. To anyone who ever came to know of her; no one special or unique, just another human being. To anyone who ever came to know her; sarcastic and perky, kind and humble. To Vinniece? boring, simple plain old boring. And annoying. Vinniece didn't really have many good viewpoints on people and Jenny Abbott will not be an exception. A head of fawn brown and glinting blue eyes that always held an intellectual spark, slim with a round chest and wide hips that surprisingly suited the rest of her small frame. Very English you could say but that only suited her too. Jenny, with her apron and a duster, her pale-yellow dress fitting her form nicely with her white stockings and two tiny red bows decorating the tips of her grey heels.

Vinniece hummed, uninterested.

Today is bleak.

Jenny furrowed her brows at the girls' antics, swishing across the room to the cracked open window, stepping over Aventurine on her way who stretches out on the floor with her front paws batting at the woman's heels. White and grey curtains blow with the little wind entering through the window accompanied with drops of rain running down the fogged over glass and with a simple tug - the window falls shut, blocking the outside from the in.

"There, enough of that now. Already have the 3 children down for colds, no need for another".

The 10-year old's only response was only a glance, before her eyes flickered back to the rain outside her window, shifting on her spot on her bed when Aventurine rises from the floor and onto Vinniece's lap where she sits up with her tail covering her paws and a small hand scratching her head and chin absentmindedly. Jenny Abbott knew not to worry herself over the girl as she was always one to jump back after a bad day, but this wasn't just a simple bad day and moreover just a day, 4 years wasn't a simple bad day. After the incident with between the other children and herself, Vinniece had chosen in distancing herself from nearly everyone in the Orphanage, hardly talking as much as she used to and always finding more comfort in eating up in her room or anywhere she could without eyes digging into her back and the whispers clawing at her keen ears, nor the painstakingly obviousness in the other children keeping their guard and distance from her, she even avoided going outside as much with hardly having the interest much in leaving her room. Jenny symphonized for the poor dear, having only been working at the Orphanage for the past 2 years, not coming to be a witness to what had taken place, so it was hard for her to come close to possibly believing that Vinniece had done what was said she had done no matter any kind of evidence that were to come up. No tools or anything of the sort to have created a fire to do such damage to those children were found in Vinniece's possession, much to everyone's great confusion, so nothing severe had been done except a very strict separation with Vinniece and the victims at all times and a few weeks of closely watched and supervised detentions as punishment. The adults had come up short in what could've possibly happened and had chosen to keep supervision and close attention to all children, to which the children had already started making assumptions and pointing fingers and making connections between Vinniece's presence during the fires that had taken place in both the hall and corridor. It was sure to spread some quite nasty rumor's, false or not.