[Chapter 9] Just One Date

»This isn't really what I had in mind«
»Stop complaining already, will you?«
The two detectives had decided to take the day off of work after barely outrunning fatal injuries last night.
Seungmin insisted on using the free day to fulfill his part of their deal to get it over with. But Chan wasn't satisfied. He said he couldn't properly enjoy the date because his whole body was aching.

»How's your steak, chief?«
Seungmin took Chan to a very fancy restaurant because he stated only expensive food would be worth his time.
»It's great. But you can call me 'hyung'...
for the occasion«
»I won't«
»Yes you will«
Chan was smiling again already. He winked at his coworker to underline his demand. Seungmin made an effort to keep a serious expression.
»Just keep quiet and eat... hyung«
Chan was proud of himself but he decided not to tease his partner any further. The atmosphere was a little more personal than usual and Chan didn't want to go much riskier for now.

»Can you please just let me go home now?«
»Never«
Chan was feeling brave enough to test his limits again after they had left the restaurant.
It was already dark outside and Seungmin was starting to get really tired but he also didn't show much resistance to Chan's further plans anymore.
»Let's take a walk together. Just you and I under these pretty lights. Doesn't that sound so lovely?«
Chan could seem rather fierce most times in his job but he wasn't afraid to be more playful when he wanted to be.
Seungmin didn't match his mood but seemed to have given up on fighting back.
»Let's go then... I guess«

Chan took the lead and his partner followed behind him.
»You need to hold my hand«
»I'm not doing that«
Seungmin seemed to have regained his energy just to express his repulsion.
»Then it doesn't count as a date«
»Fine! I didn't even want to be on a date with you in the first place«
»If you don't fulfill your part of the deal, I'm not doing mine either!«

Chan could see the thought process on Seungmins face when he hesitantly gave in and silently took his hand.
»I'm not enjoying this or anything«
»Of course, you aren't«

Chan couldn't really explain it but he knew Seungmin wasn't completely displeased. He had been working with him for many years and he felt like he could tell when his partner was seriously unhappy. And it surely wasn't the case right now, even though Seungmin would never admit to enjoying the moment. At least that's what Chan told himself was going on.

Chan kept dragging his coworker along the sidewalk.
»Aren't the stars so beautiful tonight?«
»Yeah they are...«
Seungmin's mood appeared to be getting calmer again. He didn't seem to dislike the current situation as much as he had pleaded before.

»Should I walk you home, chief? Your apartment isn't far from here, right?«
Chan was pleased to find out he guessed the man's emotions correctly. He truly did get a lot more comfortable.
»You forgot to address me correctly«
Chan tried to play it cool while his excitement was actually going through the roof. He hoped his face wouldn't turn red from the thought of being accompanied on his way home by his crush.

»"Should I walk you home, hyung?"
...That actually sounds a lot more cheesy. I might have to reconsider my offer now«
Chan slightly started to panic.
»No no, don't! Please come with me«
He instantly regretted his way too desperate-sounding plea. But Seungmin seemed to find it rather amusing.
»Alright, I guess«