Chapter Six: Lucas

Start from the beginning

"We needed a break, thought a tea would be perfect for this fine hot day." Grayson smiled. What is he doing? I thought he had a plan. "How are y'all doing this hot summer day?" Really, Grayson. I thought it was supposed to be a good plan, not rambling on and on.

"We are fine and dandy. Now, what did you really come in here for." Bella asked, hands on hips, and a look that says, 'I know you are up to something.'

"Okay, okay, you caught us. We have something to ask y'all." Grayson replied, if this is his idea, I do not think I want to be a part of it.

"Well, then ask already." Bella told him, tapping her foot to say that he was wasting time.

"If we have a cookout for this weekend, would you and Maddie be interested in attending?" That is his plan? Was that his grand scheme? Why could he not tell me in the truck?

"Really, that was the big secret you couldn't tell me?" I huffed out.

"Yes, I thought it would be nice to have a big cookout and invite Bella, and Maddie. Plus, I wanted tea, but I did not want to drive." Grayson laughed as he headed to get his tea.

"Get me one while you are over there." I called out to him.

"So, bossy." Maddie laughed out. That laugh, I could listen to it all day long. Is that a 'real' smile on that pretty face? I believe it is, I love seeing that smile.

"Hey now. He is the one that tricked me." I defended myself.

"Did he really trick you?" Maddie replied, still laughing.

"Yes, he did. Do you want to come over for this 'cookout' that Grayson thought would be a great idea to have at my house?" I asked her, letting her know that it was not me but Grayson's plan.

"I would love to, but that is the time I spend with my children." She replied, lowering her head, fidgeting with her hands. I notice that she does that when she gets nervous.

"I want them there too. I want them to see our place." I reassured her the best I know how to. I really do want them to come. I have missed them; I have not seen the kids since we had ice cream.

"I didn't know if they were invited." Maddie replied quietly.

"Yes, you all are always welcomed." I told her.

"I am sure they would love that." Maddie answered in a whisper.

"Come on, Maddie. It will be fun, and the kids will have fun" Bella encouraged.

"If you would let me talk, I was going to say we would go." Maddie spoke a little louder, so we could hear her. Her voice, like a soft whisper that makes me break out in goose bumps.

"Would you and the kids like to help me get the supplies, one day this week?" I asked her, mentally crossing my fingers hoping that she would say yes.

"It would have to be after school." She replied with a 'real' smile on her face.

"Is that a, yes?" I asked in shock.

"Yes." Maddie laughed.

"What is a good day for you?" I asked her.

"Well, you did not give us a lot of time. Are you planning for Saturday or Sunday?"

"Saturday, if that works for you." I replied, keeping eye contact with Maddie.

"That works for me." She did not break eye contact with me. She is slowly lowering her walls for me. Giving me hope.

"So, what day will you be able to go with me?"