CHAPTER I.XV: Light a Fire

A/N: After careful consideration, I decided to continue this fic despite what we've recently discovered about Wilbur. However, from now on, I will be replacing his name with Guillaume and after the medieval world he may not appear as much anymore, and if he does, possibly with a different name, but I doubt he'll appear often, if at all. It all depends, but for now, this is the disclaimer that that will be the case (:.

--TRAVELLING THE MULTIVERSE--
TIP 255: Remember that you're an onlooker, not an actor on the stage.

"Dream?"

The name of the sorcerer whose name has already been revealed to you leaves your lips with a question mark behind it. Although you have most definitely heard Sam and Techno mention him, along with a few drops by Tommy, this isn't what you expected. But on the other hand, it makes perfect sense. An all-powerful sorcerer, responsible for another's madness and an enemy of the royal family of L'Manberg? It fits perfectly the description of the Egg. Feeding upon someone's desires or ambitions, or strongest emotions, and causing insanity to another, and last but not least, giving power and status to he who so loyally uses and preaches it.

You want to speak. No, even worse, you want to scream. You want to beat him up, unleash all your anger on him, anger which you didn't even know you had so much of. To know that the Crimson allowed an ambitious individual to grow not just powerful, but also infamous and dangerous, is not surprising to you, but it does fill you with rage. In the back of your mind, images keep flashing, depicting Jared's mutilated face as he's overgrown by the red vines of the gemstone. Around you, you hear the shaking voice of Fundy, who's still coughing, shouting directions for the surrounding nobles and knights to follow, but nobody dares to move.

A smirk is drawn upon Dream's face: it's good to see people submit to his desire for control. To believe to be the one holding the reigns is one thing, but to have people unknowingly confirm it, is something entirely else.

But you don't.

Out of the corner of your eyes, you see some faces grow pale. Bad grins, looking at the warlock who, with a single motion of his hand, darkens the room as the candles are blown out. Only now everyone can see his eyes lighting up ever so slightly, while another source of light, hidden beneath the fabric of his clothing, becomes visible. Red. Bloodred.

He puts out his hand. You hadn't stepped away. You were done playing the witness: you wanted to leave here and return to your lover. But there was no way to do so, as the palm of his hand soon enough is directed towards you.

"Thank you for the introduction, and for the reunion. It's a shame civilians have to be here to witness the end of the 'nation of L'Manberg', but oh well. Collateral damage was to be expected." His smirk is a haunting one, but it doesn't scare you. You don't step away and apologize, in the hopes to save your life. You stay right in front of him. Although you don't have any form of a weapon, refusing to grab Devortuna in your pocket, you're not scared. He has nothing on you.

The beating of your heart is so loud, as you watch Dream tilt his head at you, scoffing. "Well, playing for a knight now, are we? It's adorable, Y/N, truly, but I hope you do realize that I will not spare your life only because you show me more courage than these fools, ever have?"

"I demand that you give me the gemstone," you say without shaking, the words leaving you automatically, as if your body has been taken over. You feel a bit of movement in your other pocket, where Jake, the pet who refused to leave you when you started this journey, is slowly coming out, finally feeling it's his time to shine. You'd taken him with you everywhere, even after he had decided to change forms, taken on the one of a black rat, but never had he shown himself unexpectedly when others were present. This time, however, you feel how he's coming out, crawling upon your shoulder, almost as if he wants to prove to Dream and the others present that you are not to be messed with. How a rat is supposed to do that, you're unsure, considering they're not as knowledgeable as you regarding the importance of rats in the Middle Ages, during the Plague.