Chapter 4: Operation: Wallclimber

Start from the beginning

Next came the impact resistant boots, and then the helmet, which fit snugly over the top of the head and connected to the neural ports situated on the skull just behind its ears. The visor screen covered the upper face, while an oxygen mask system inhabited the lower front, connected to the AC by a series of hoses and cables.

The helmet sealed onto the upper neck of the flight suit and provided a hermetically sealed system that could protect the pilot in case of ejection or armor spalling.

Fully suited, 621 hit the button to unseal the ACs cockpit as it crossed the gantry, climbing into the heart of LOADER 4. It was a comforting routine as it attached the hoses and data links, settling its hands on the controls to begin the startup sequence.

Below where 621 sat the powerful circulating current generator came to life, jump-started by the hangar's capacitors. The generator was startlingly quiet, producing a low frequency rumbling rather than the louder thumping of combustion models. The AC systems began to initialize, and 621 began the connection procedure. A moment later, its senses encompassed the machine.

The initial startup complete, 621 accessed the briefing it had been sent, which came up to cover its vision.

"This request comes straight from Arquebus headquarters." Walter informed, "They want you to assist with a mission the corporations are calling, 'Operation Wallclimber'."

"This is V.II Snail, leader of the Vespers' second squad." he introduced himself, "I will chair the briefing for this mission. This is an operation of my own design, consider it a privilege to be called to participate. You will be attacking the Wall, a key trading outpost fortified by the Rubicon Liberation Front."

Aerial images showed a massive, wall-like structure behind a small city area. A number of weapon emplacements were easily visible on the structure's sides and around the city streets.

"The rabble have formed a defensive line comprised of artillery and MT squads." V.II Snail continued, "Break through the line, then make your way to the top of the Wall. There you shall find the JUGGERNAUT, a mobile heavy artillery platform. Destroy it. V.IV will also be participating in this mission, infiltrating through a separate route. However... be aware that Balam has also taken a crack at the Wall, only for their vainglorious hopes to be dashed."

The pilot license on screen was superimposed over an image of the smoking wreck of a heavy Balam AC. G4 Volta, who had survived the failed attack on the Gallia Dam, was dead.

"Do try not to die like a dog out there." V.II Snail bluntly said.

...

It had initially seemed as though the defense of the Wall against Arquebus' assault was going well, with several enemy MT squads and an independent mercenary with no arena registration, likely a corporate sponsored fool they brought along as cannon fodder, falling to the defensive garrison.

Arquebus had been testing the waters, because now the panicked voice on the other end of the link was telling him that there was an independent mercenary carving through the defensive line at the front of the Wall, and a numbered Vesper, V.IV, moving in from the rear.

"Listen to me." Flatwell's voice was stern as he spoke. "You need to evacuate. Try to save as much equipment and supplies as possible. We will assuredly lose the JUGGERNAUT, but we can't afford to sacrifice everything in a doomed attempt to save it."

The man on the other end was shocked into silence. "Sir, we're... giving up?" 

"You're living to fight another day." Flatwell corrected him. "Now go, organize the retreat. I'll send available forces to escort everyone that can escape, but we can't hold that position against Arquebus any longer. I won't have you waste your lives on this, especially since we have no AC pilots in range to assist."