Chapter 3: Adjourned

Start from the beginning

He gave me a look. "You know why."

"I can't tell you how to feel, but I'm your friend. Mas importante ang opinyon ko kesa sa opinyon ng ibang tao dahil mas may role ako sa buhay mo kesa sa kanila. So I'm going to tell you now that they don't matter. Whatever they throw at you, whatever they say against you, it's not on you." Kinuha ko ang mga folder na nakapatong sa lamesa ko at muli ko siyang tinignan. "Everyone has the right to believe what they want to believe. However, you don't shove what you are into other people. Why would you let them do it to you?"

"Luna—"

Itinaas ko ang kamay ko at kaagad niya namang tinikom ang mga labi niya. "You're one of the most religious people I have ever met. Base sa mga kuwento mo, kahit noong bata ka pa. You stayed with your church even if they ostracized where your heart belongs to. You respect them even when their beliefs often stop them from doing the same. Then you found your new church. One that fully accepts you. But then and now, you didn't change. You remained loyal to Him, to His people, and to His creations. You volunteer to different charities, you always donate because you said you have more than enough, your house is like a zoo because you can't stop adopting animals, and you never throw stones back that have been thrown at you." Inabot ko ang ilan sa mga hawak ko sa kaniya na kaagad niya namang tinanggap. "We can't change the hearts of all the people in this world. But you need to change. You need to start believing in your own heart more than theirs."

His Adam's apple moved. "I'm going to cry."

"Mamaya na. Marami pa tayong gagawin."

True to my words, we indeed have a lot to do. It wasn't long before we found ourselves facing the other members of the board of directors. We went through the day's agenda, but the snide remarks sugar-coated with jokes coming from the Chief Marketing Officer and PR Director weren't lost to me.

And it wasn't just because of Alex and his pink nails. It's also about me being the youngest in the room, a woman, and the new sole owner of the company.

"Next meeting baka naman violet na ang kuko mo, Alexa," pabirong sabi ng CMO na si Samuel Barnes.

"My wife got her nails done, and I remember her telling me that she likes the tawny color." The PR Director Owen Mitchell's lips curled up. "Why don't you try that one—"

"Shh." Nang bumuka ang bibig ng dalawa ay itinaas ko ang kamay ko at pinagdikit ko ang hinlalaki ko at hintuturo. "The adults are talking." Pagkasabi niyon ay nilingon ang Chief Financial Officer ng Maven na si Oliver Mercado na pigil ang ngiti habang pilit din na iniignora ang dalawa. If they're acting juvenile, then they deserve to be treated as one. "Do we need to move this month?"

"Preferably, yes," he answered. "We're still renting this building since it was your and Stella's decision before, and the price is hiking up. The owner wants to lease it for another year. If we're going to move, the right time is now."

Stella didn't have plans to move, but I told her that it's a possibility if Maven grows. And it did.

"Do we have a location?"

"There's actually an offer."

Kumunot ang noo ko. "Usually, it's the other way around." Ang bibili kadalasan ang may offer at hindi ang nagbebenta. Well, at least on my experience.

"Well..." He cleared his throat. "It's a prime location. Newly vacated, eight floors. Malapit din sa mga public transportation, kaya hindi mahihirapan ang mga empleyado natin, there are great restaurants, may mall na isang sakay lang, at hindi ganoong kalayo sa airport."

"But?"

There must be a but because what he's saying is all great, and for whatever reason, he's starting to look nervous.