I know I hit a nerve by the way she straightened. "I've worked hard to write all my articles, ma'am. I'm always up to the trends, and I made sure that my contents had an impact."

"The article you gave me right now is a recycled version of the ones you submitted before. Articles that the editors needed to cut and overhaul, which gave them more work to do than necessary." I tapped my fingers on the table as I trained my eyes on her. She's not a fresh graduate. She worked for other companies. We gave her a chance because she has potential. "You're right that you know the trends. The problem is that you've been stuck on one trend, and you've been writing about it four times now. Not only is it redundant, the scope of what you write doesn't reach diverse readers." Sumandal ako sa kinauupuan ko. I need a massage right now. "Knowing the trends is just the first part of your responsibility. Your job was to create content for the website. Visitors want to read easily to digest content. They're not viewing the page to read a short story. Your output is too long, too wordy, too unimaginative, and the number of errors is beyond ridiculous. Adding to that is that you write too slowly."

Sa lahat pa naman ng ayaw ko ay mga taong mababagal. I don't expect them to give me quality work in just a few hours, but one article doesn't need to take days. Life is too short to spend too much time on one thing. It was one thing that didn't change for me. Noon man o ngayon.

I was always moving, always running after stories. I have experienced a lot as a journalist. I've written countless stories. I even experienced staying at a police station just to get a whiff of fresh news. Only it was fashion that really drew me in more permanently. Not because I'm a woman, and women love clothes. It's because of the stories behind them. How they represent more than what meets the eye.

Some hated me for being tenacious. In fact, I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of them who would rather not see me. I couldn't blame them. Journalists are often hated for doing their job, which is to send out to the world what is most wanted to be hidden. Fortunately, I don't work for sleazy companies anymore. I've tried gossip journalism once, and it wasn't for me. I'm happy with where I am now. Kung hindi lang talaga laging sumasakit ang ulo ko.

"But this is not your first time hearing this," I continued. "Crystal has told you this again and again. Which is why you are right here right now with me."

She looks like a fish that was pulled out of water by the way she's gaping at me. It must be a first for her. When it shouldn't be. The companies she worked for before should have straightened her out. A potential would be a waste if it wasn't cultivated properly.

Kinuha ko ang mga papel. "I'm going to put this here, and you will understand what it means." Her eyes followed my movement, and they widened when she saw me put her article in the trash bin beside my desk. "As soon as you leave the room, you're going to cry. You'll hate me, and you'll talk behind my back. And at the end of the week, it's either you're going to pass me your resignation or you're going to give me an article that doesn't look like it has been written by a grade school student. Give me something that is worthy of Maven. If you can't do it, then instead of wasting your time and the company's time, start writing your resignation letter rather than the article I'm expecting you to give me."

Silence enveloped the two of us. For a moment, she just stared at me blankly, as if she couldn't see me. But when I tipped my head to the door, her eyes grew misty, and she stood up to scramble out of the room.

Hindi pa tuluyang sumasara ang pintuan ay rinig ko na ang paghikbi niya. Nagpakawala ako ng hininga at isinandal ko ang ulo ko sa kinauupuan ko na swivel chair. I love my job, but sometimes I wish I'm still a writer whose main job is to just write, and it isn't accompanied by all these headaches.