Chapter Two

(June. 1997. Paris.)

"What were your first impressions?" Wes asked.

"Of Danny? Well, I mean, I was this sixteen-year-old girl full of spunk and ready to take on anything. Danny was seventeen, charming, witty... he wasn't like any of the other boys in the neighborhood. I liked that," I laughed a bit.

"Did you have feelings for him?"

"No," I paused. I could feel Wes and everyone else waiting for my response. "We were so similar in so many ways...he was almost an instant friend."

"And Marian?"

"She instantly liked him- but so did all the other girls. Listen, Danny was handsome. Even I thought so. But what drew me to him wasn't all the charm and the almost fake stuff," I replied, shifting in my seat.

"What was it?" Wes asked, also shifting in his seat.

Again, I paused.

"It was...well, have you ever met someone that, when they walk in a room, they just seem not to be bothered by anyone else? Almost like they know they're cool and interesting...all that confidence. But at the same time, aren't all that fake, and are really genuine? That was Danny. In almost every sense, that was Danny."

(Flashback to Pittsburgh, PA; October 31, 1960.)  

"Nice to meet you," I said, as Danny shook my hand.

"Same. Hey, listen, do you want anything? We've got snacks, drinks- you name it, it's yours," Danny grinned.

"I'll have a pop," Marian blushed. "Coke, if you have it."

"Sure thing. Eva?"

"Same as Marian," I replied. 

"Great. Hey, Bobby, nice costume," Danny said, patting another boy on the back. "Eva, I could use some help with getting drinks and stuff- help me out?" He flashed another big smile.

"Sure."

"Marian!" a girl screeched from across the room. I groaned- and Marian probably did, too- when the voice was revealed to belong to Sharon O'Toole, dressed as a Pan-Am stewardess. In seconds, Sharon was at Marian's side.

"Hi, Sharon," Marian smiled. "Nice costume!"

"Thanks," Sharon said, dismissing Marian with a wave of her hand. Then, in a totally different voice, said, "Groovy party, Danny."

I couldn't help but roll my eyes. Danny shrugged.

"What can I say, it's a talent," Danny replied. He cleared his throat. "We were just gonna get some drinks. You want anything?"

Sharon smiled, probably thinking she was a model or something, and shook her head. 

"I'm good," she smiled, inching closer to Danny, who smoothly backed away and changed the topic.

"Ok, then, let's get those pops, Eva!"

As Marian shot me a look that said 'Please God, don't leave me with Miss Pan-Am!', I shrugged and followed Danny. 

For the first time since entering the Love's house, I realized that it was just as tiny as my own. Then again, all houses were fairly small in Oakland. Also, I finally noticed Danny's costume.