It was a moment of quiet intimacy amidst the chaos of the celebration, a silent promise.

And as they finally broke apart, that silent promise, also felt like a reassurance.

With that he leans back, and gets up, wiping his eyes before taking her hand and dragging her into the living room where half the family members are at now.

Across the room, she made eye contact with her dad and sent him a smile. "Oh there he is! Our Future President!" Theodore body tenses up a bit at that but nevertheless he accepts the claps and the praises from everyone with a smile.

As the chant for a speech filled the room, she felt Theodore's fingers slowly slipping from her grasp, leaving her hand feeling strangely empty in his absence. She watched as he made his way to the front of the room, his figure commanding yet vulnerable under the weight of the moment.

"Happy New Year everyone," Theodore's voice broke through the silence, his gaze briefly flickering to meet Nia's before he continued. "As the clock struck midnight, I truly felt something I've never experienced before, fear." Theodore paused, his eyes momentarily dropping to the ground before he shook his head. "What I'm trying to say is that the future is quite uncertain, so I just wanted to thank you all for being here."

Theodore stopped, and cleared his throat, a smile playing on his lips as he began to speak. "Um nevertheless everyone knows it took us so long to get here, and I just want to give a big thanks to everyone who worked alongside me. They know that the election was messy, but they made sure they did the best they could for our campaign to be as honest as we could be." He raises his glass towards William, who stands in the corner with Mia on his arm. William pretends to wipe away tears, then playfully blows Theodore a kiss.

Theodore chuckles, rolling his eyes playfully.

"I will forever be grateful, for all your continuous support and love. Happy New Year!" he concluded, raising his glass in a toast as the room erupted into cheers and applause.

After that speech, she could feel the distance, but it didn't feel like it was there.

Maybe it was her mind just playing tricks with her as he would hold her hand as they stood subtly beside each other, and he would touch her back, rubbing it so slightly.

She had no idea what was going on in that head of his, and frankly, she was scared to find out.

Eventually, when it was time to leave, Nia's father was already in the vehicle as he was starting to feel quite tired

Eventually, when it was time to leave, Nia's father was already in the vehicle as he was starting to feel quite tired. Family members had already left; some who were staying were still inside, talking to Mrs. Knocks and Mr. Knocks.

Nia bid them goodbye and walked outside, with Theodore following behind.

Suddenly, she stopped in her tracks, her eyes fixed directly on him.

As he stepped closer, she could see the emotions welling up in his eyes.

This felt like a breakup.

She could only assume that the tears seemed to stem from fear, as his speech was a dead giveaway.

Whether it was expressed or not.

It felt like goodbye.

"Did I do something wrong, Theo?" Her question caught Theodore off guard. Without hesitation, he pulled her close and shook his head. "No, never," he reassured her, and she looked into his eyes but couldn't pin point if it was a lie.

Just as she opened her mouth to speak, the sound of a honk echoed from the vehicle, causing her to look back.

Theodore chuckled softly, and Nia turned back to him, remarking, "It's probably my dad."

Theodore nodded, his grip on her tightening. "I don't want you to leave," he whispered, leaning in to place a gentle kiss on her lips.

It was tender, conveying a mixture of longing and reluctance to let go

She melted into the kiss, feeling a rush of emotions swirling within her.

"I don't want to leave either," Nia responded softly, her lips brushing against his.

"Then don't," Theodore firmly stated, his lips pressing against hers once more, conveying a silent plea for her to stay.

The kiss deepened slightly, a silent confession of their intertwined desires.

But their moment was interrupted by another honk from the vehicle.

They both chuckled softly, reluctantly pulling away from each other, their eyes locked in a silent exchange.

"I'll talk to you later," Theodore promised, his voice filled with warmth.

She smiled, but it didn't quite reach her eyes.

Feeling a flutter of hope in her heart as she leaned up to press one last lingering kiss on his lips before walking away.

As she reached the vehicle, she avoided eye contact with her father who sat up front.

With tears streaming down her face, she opened the door of the back seat, stealing one last glance at Theodore before she got in.

She held onto his promise, and found solace in the lingering sweetness of their kiss.

Unfortunately, this promise never came true.

___

Filter chapter, quite short.

Also I will be changing back to the old cover ♡

I'm sorry, I hope that you all can forgive me for this.

Just wait until chapter 35/36 🫶🏾

How was it?

See y'all next chapter 💕