Chapter 6

They laid together, slightly out of breath, slightly sweaty. Kara felt Lena trembling in her arms and just squeezed her tighter. The hero can't even fathom how it would affect her if Lena laid in a coma for weeks on end. She didn't even want to think about it. She heard the desperation in Lena's voice when she was unconscious. Her mind flashed back to her dreams and visions.

She was falling in slow motion. She could see the roof she was just kicked from. She tried and tried to fly or even float down, but her powers were gone. She didn't even solar flare. Her powers shouldn't be gone. The hero panics. Her eyes widen at the realization. She's about to hit the pavement as if she was human.

Lena.

It was her one thought. She shut her eyes and concentrated. She reached out with all her might, trying to listen to that heartbeat that provided so much comfort. For a brief moment, she could hear it pounding away, much too quickly, before the sound faded.

Lena.

She felt the impact from falling over 40 stories. She must have had just a bit of her Kryptonian strength left to survive that fall and create a crater around her broken and bruised body. She can't bring herself to open her eyes or even twitch a single muscle. Just as her mind was blanking out, surrendering to unconsciousness. A final thought rung out loudly.

I'm so sorry, Lee.

Kara's face was pinched in pain, tears streaming down her face. Her lungs burned, forgetting out to breathe. She felt something soft stroking her face. She whimpered and tried to lean into it. All the sudden, it was like someone flicked the switch to turn the volume back on. She can her a soft, worried voice that she loves so, so much.

"Kara. Kara, darling. Stay with me. Come on, Kara. Breathe for me. Take a breath." Lena moved to straddle over the blonde and leaned down to be face to face.

Kara gasped with a massive, deep breath in. Fresh oxygen flooded her lungs and her eyes shot open.

"Good. Good job, darling. Now, look at me, baby. Look in my eyes."

Following Lena's every word, Kara looked deep into those worried greens. She didn't blink, afraid to close her eyes and lose the woman in front of her.

"Keep breathing, Kar. Keep looking. Feel my hands on your skin. Can you hear my heartbeat? Can you focus on that?"

Kara's face broke out in goosebumps at the light stroking from Lena's thumbs. She tried to focus her hearing. She tried to focus it back onto that comforting rhythm. Her eyes dropped to Lena's chest, right where her heart lays.

"Good girl, baby. I'm right here. You're right here. We are both okay, love. You're safe."

Kara's tear filled eyes flickered back up to those green eyes. She watched Lena jump slightly as she gripped onto Lena's waist. Fearing that she accidently hurt her girlfriend, her hands flew off that smooth skin. She opened her mouth to apologize, but she couldn't get any words out.

"I'm okay. You didn't hurt me. I was just startled. You can put your hands back on me, darling. Come on; hold onto me." Lena rested her forehead against Kara's while looking into those sky blues.

Kara flexed her hands off to the side before slowly moving them back. She ever-so-lightly brushed the pads of her fingertips against Lena's bare back. She flinched slightly when she felt goosebumps break out with a slight shiver from the woman above her. Once she realized that Lena was okay, she slowly pressed her hands more firmly against her skin.

"That's it, baby." Lena's lips pressed together in a sad smile. Tears spilt down her face as she watched Kara's panicked eyes slowly turned into sorrowful ones. "Do you want to talk about it?"