Chapter 3

Hours turned to days. Days turned to weeks. Lena had basically moved into the DEO. Kara's solar levels were back to normal, but she still wasn't waking up. Lena and Alex spent almost all of their time trying to figure out what was keeping Kara unconscious. They run as many tests as they can think of, but nothing was coming of it. Alex was having to return to running the DEO. Lena took a leave of absence at LCorp and Catco to be at Kara's side.

"Darling, what has you trapped in your head?" Lena said while brushing the blonde's hair. "If you come back to me, we can talk about it. I'm not going anywhere. I'll never leave you."

Alex knocked lightly as she entered. "Lena, you need to go home at some point."

"No, Alex. I don't."

Alex sighed as she walked further into the room. "We can create a schedule. I'll call you if anything happens on my watch. You need to keep your life going."

Lena's voice took a sharp tone, "Don't tell me what I need." The CEO rubbed her eyes and sighed. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snap."

"It's alright, Lena. No apology necessary."

Tears started to spill down her face. "Alex, I can't go home. She is my home. She is my life. I need to be here. I need her to wake up. I need her to come back to me."

Alex hugged Lena. With her chin tucked over the CEO's shoulder, she lectured her sister in her coma. "You here that, sis? You need to get your lazy ass up and take care of your woman. She's been taking good care of you. Time to return the favor."

Lena half chuckled and half sobbed at Alex's statement. They separated but held onto each others' forearms as their eyes landed on the blonde. "Don't listen to her, Kara. I will gladly spend my life caring for you."

Alex reluctantly left with a sad smile on her face. She understood why Lena felt the need to stay, but at this point, Alex lost hope that Kara would ever recover. Nothing had changed since she became fully charged from the liquid sunlight. Kelly had convinced Alex that she needed to continue with her normal life until Kara wakes up. Kara would need her more once she has regained consciousness. Alex didn't take the talk well at first, but slowly Kelly brought her around. Holding a vigil over the superhero wasn't making her recover faster. When Kelly offered to have the same conversation with Lena, Alex quickly nixed that idea. She knew it wouldn't go over well.

Lena, on the other hand, never gave up hope. She took to talking to Kara like she was awake and aware. She told her stories of her childhood that she never told anyone before. She tried to bargain with her those first days. She moved to being angry with Kara for not waking up. She cried so many tears into her supersuit. Now, Lena was planted somewhere between denial and acceptance.

Everyday was the same. Lena would take more sample and worked in the lab to see if there was any difference. There never was. She worked out in the exercise room, and then spent time with Kara. Lena filled her days doing different things. Early on, it was wedding planning. Then, it turned into learning Kryptonese from the materials Kara had shared with her. Lena researched comas and how to pull anyone out of it. She tried to convince Brainy to send her into Kara's subconscious. The risk was too high since they didn't know what they were truly dealing with. They weren't sure they would be able to pull Lena back out. Time passed, and Lena lost track of the days.

Lena went through her normal evening routine at the DEO. She used the locker room to shower and change. The DEO agents were so used to her presence; no one batted an eye at her in her leggings and baggy shirt. She spent every night reading aloud to the blonde from her favorite books. When she got tired, she crawled up onto the table and cuddled her unconscious girlfriend.

Lena woke up reluctantly. Her dreams were always filled of memories and hopes of life with Kara. Waking was Lena's least favorite part. Today, she stretched like a cat: arching her back and reaching her arms out with her eyes still closed. She smiled to herself, not fully awake. When she slowly regained consciousness, her body stiffened. Her eyes shot open. Someone was scratching her scalp and playing her hair, just like she always loved. Her pulse quickened; she held her breath. She was afraid to look up. She was afraid to hope. Maybe this is just my dream. Maybe it's just my imagination. Her thoughts halted at the sound of a gruff voice.

"Your heart is racing."

Lena squeezed her eyes shut as she tilted her head towards the voice. She slowly, slowly opened her eyes. She found those cerulean blues looking back at her. Lena gasped and broke down into sobs as she straddled the blonde and buried her face into Kara's chest and neck. She felt those strong arms wrap around her like the best kind of security blanket.

"How long?" Kara whispered.

Lena's sobs calmed down some. "Over a month."

Lena felt some wetness in her hair. She looked up at her hero. Kara was crying. Lena held Kara's face in her hands, wiping away those tears with her thumbs before kissing them off. "I love you. So, so much, Kara. I love you more than I ever thought myself capable. I'm so sorry for getting angry with you. For making you sleep alone. For not asking how you were. For everything. I love you. I love you, and I want to spend the rest of my life with you."

Lena held Kara's left hand as she brought it up to show her the ring. Kara smiled tightly with fresh tears running down her face.

"Kara Zor-El Danvers, will you be my wife?"

"Yes, Lee. Yes, I will be your wife. Nothing would make me happier."

Lena was quick to kiss her love. Kara returned it passionately. Their tears mixed as wet smacks filled the air. Lena rested her forehead against the blondes. She whispered to keep the atmosphere.

"Your sister already claimed the maid of honor position."

Kara chuckled before her smile turned sad. "I'm so sorry, Lee. I'm so sorry for putting you through this."

Lena opened her mouth to interrupt, Kara didn't give her the chance to talk. "No, just listen. Please. You were right to be angry with me. I was putting superheroing before you, before us. That was a mistake. But I need you to know, I fought so hard to come home to you. I fought so hard for you. When- when I knew when I lost, you were all I could think of. I needed to apologize to you. I regretted not spending more of my time with you, keeping our dates. I accept this ring with a promise. I will do better for you. I will keep fighting for you, and I will be home for you, too."

Lena griped onto Kara as more sobs wracked her body. She's so thankful that Kara woke up, that they can both fix their mistakes and do better moving forward. When they were both ready to have others join, Lena texted Alex to tell her that her sister woke up. Alex came bursting into the room to find Kara and Lena sitting next to each other on the table. Alex tackled them both into a hug. The three women spent a long time hugging and crying and trying to talk. Lena and Alex insisted that they run more labs to figure out what happened. Kara protested naturally, but she quickly caved when she realized that it's the least she can do to calm down the two most important people in her life.

Kara agreed to take time off from being Supergirl and to stay at home with Lena for the foreseeable future. They had no clue what the long term effects would be from Kara being in a coma for so long. There was an unspoken uneasiness in the space. They were all nervous since the mystery foe was still out there and had a method to cause serious damage to the hero. They celebrated the win of today, but they were all wary of what tomorrow would bring. They needed to understand what happened.