The Light Between Two Oceans

Start from the beginning

"Travis..." He heard a small voice cry out in his arms and he looked down to see that she was fully awake, the cold winter air hitting her face, most likely waking her back up.

"I am right here baby, it is all going to be ok."

"I can't lose it, I can't lose the baby." She said wearily, shaking her head from side to side as her face contorted in agony and pain, both physical and emotional. His heart broke for her, and for him. Whilst he couldn't feel what she was feeling, he knew that it hurt. Little by little he could feel his heart shattering more and more. He lightly kissed her forehead as he was escorted into the hospital via the back entrance.

One of the nurses instructed him to lay her down on a trolley and Travis followed, watching as Taylor was wheeled away into a consultation room. A private one, to protect their privacy.

"Mr Kelce, can you please explain to me exactly what is happening. There weren't any notes given over the phone." One of the doctors uttered as they entered the room hurriedly, placing on a pair of blue gloves and grabbing an iPad to take notes and look up Taylor's medical history.

"I don't know. I just came home and found her bleeding like this. There was so much blood. Pints and pints of it and I think she is still bleeding." Travis cried out, frantically looking over at the doctor, telepathically begging him to save her..

"Ok and did she loose consciousness. I can see that she is quite lucid."

Travis nodded, and the doctor noted it down.

"Please help her."

"We will do everything we can to help her Mr Kelce." Travis watched as the doctor went over the attach monitors to Taylors heart and stomach. As the doctor was lifting up Taylors jumper and shirt, Travis cried out

"Please save her. She is pregnant." The doctor pulled back the top half of Taylor's clothing, leaving her only in her bra, revealing Travis' outcry to be correct.

"Sir how many weeks pregnant is your wife?"

"She isn't my wife, well not yet. Thats not to say I don't want her to be, oh." He could feel himself getting flustered and collapsed down into the chair beside where Taylor was lying on a gurney. "She's, she's, she is eighteen weeks, almost nineteen weeks." Travis sighed, grabbing onto Taylors outstretched hand, softly running his thumb over her knuckles in a way to hopefully bring her some comfort.

"Ok, Taylor I am going to examine you and then do an ultrasound ok." The doctor asked, watching as Taylor nodded her head slightly. Travis was sure she didn't really understand everything that was going on, but she very much did after the doctor examined her. Neither Travis nor Taylor could read the expression on his face. It remained objectively plain, in the most frustrating way.

"Ok, Taylor I am going to do the ultrasound now. It will be a normal transabdominal one so it will be as painless as possible." She nodded, looking over at Travis, the most alert he had seen her in a long while.

"Trav, it has to be ok. Please promise me..."

"Everything will be fine. I promise you Tay." He kissed her on the forehead, cursing himself for making promises he may not be able to grant or keep. He couldn't tell what the future would hold for them. But he had to pretend that all was ok, for Taylor's sake. He couldn't fail now.

Silence flooded the room as the doctor studied every inch of Taylor's abdomen with the ultrasound probe. It felt like time had stopped, or at least was moving very slowly. Hours seemed to pass until a sound appeared. The sound they had been waiting to hear and hoping and praying for. The steady thump, thump, thump, thump of their baby's heartbeat.