ten

The days slipped by, and suddenly Karl's sitting in his car by himself for the first time in a week. Nick hadn't left his side aside from showering and sleeping. This always tended to happen, Nick coming to visit to escape his problems and take on Karl's and then at the end of his stay Karl's sitting in his car silently as the tears fall down his face one by one.

He listens to the car doors echoing in the parking garage. The loud voices speaking and bouncing from one wall to the next. If he turned over the engine, it'd muffle the sounds that seem too much to bear.

Nick - don't be too emotional, i'll be back i promise :)

Karl let the message light up his phone for a few seconds before it faded back to darkness. He didn't respond, he just sat. He hated the feeling of being alone, especially after having not been. He gets so used to the company just before Nick leaves and when he does it's like a cold turkey quit.

Nadia Desmond is calling...

"Happy house pizza, how may I help you." Karl said, letting nervous laughter slip out as he wiped the tears from his face.

"I'd like to place an order for pickup?" Nadia responded, voice letting off that she was joking back with him. He let out a breath he didn't know he was holding.

"And for what address?" Karl spoke, trying not to laugh at the fact that she was playing along.

"The north carolina airport. It's fucking cold."

"Wait what?" Karl asked, looking around the parking garage as if he was going to randomly spot her.

"I didn'f have time to warn you because my parents didn't fuckinf warn me, but they moved the date up for this family fucking gathering and I jad to fly in early. Is rhat okay? Can tou pick me up or give me your address so I can uber there?"

"I'm here still from dropping Nick off, Go to the main entrance and I'll get you." Karl said, starting his car and pulling out of his parking space.

"Where the fuck is the main entrance?" She asked. Karl could envision her looking around the area like an idiot. He chuckled at the picture in his head. "Don't laugh at me! I don't usually go to this airport!"

"What? Why?" Karl asked, pulling into a parking space closer to where he needed to go.

"I usually go to Kinston. My parents always tell me its easier but there were no flights going there so i did this one since its closer to Greenville where you live."

"I'm walking to the building now, just stay where you are." Karl said, closing his door and shoving his keys into his pockets.

"I'm at Gate A? Don't hang up on me, I'm so lost."

"Didn't plan on it Nadia." He laughed.

"Stop laughing at me." She said, laughter coming out softly.

"I'll be there soon, stop stressing." Karl said, walking in through the main entrance. He walked to a map of the airport before making his way to Nadia.

"Is that you in a stupid- is that my merch?!" Nadia asked, her voice echoed for him due to how loud she yelled. He pulled the phone back and hung up on her. The closer he got to her, the more he noticed how red and raw the skin around her nails were. Karl knew they had to be recent as he could see the dried blood gathering on her nail.

"That's my fucking merch!" Nadia exclaimed, trying to hide the smile on her face.

"I stole it from Nick." Karl shrugged, picking up one of her bags and turning around to head back the direction he came in.

"You stupid bitch, you like me." She teased, stepping on the back of his shoe and making his foot fly out of it. Nadia laughed and Karl rolled his eyes, fixing the shoe on his foot and continuing to walk.

"Be careful who you piss off or you might not have a place to stay or even a ride to said place to stay." Karl said, eyeing the shorter as she started walking next to him.

"Your threats are pointless, I just have to fake cry and you fall for it." She shrugged.

"You say that now until you're sitting by yourself on a bench because you can't afford a hotel." He sassed. He weaved through people with his head down like a pro, although he had just done this less than an hour ago with Nick who had to be roaming around here somewhere.

"Blah blah blah." She said as they walked out the doors and towards the car park. The rest of the walk was silent apart from the bustling people, the loud cars, and their soft footsteps.

Once Karl's car was in sight, he unlocked it from his keys and watched the lights blink. He put her things in the back seat as soon as he was able to before sitting down in the drivers seat. Nadia sat in the passenger and put her backpack on the floor at her feet.

Karl put the key in the ignition and turned over the engine. It rumbled to life and Karl smiled, finding joy in the little things.

"Are you always so happy?" Nadia asked, disbelief dripping from her voice.

"No." He laughed, throwing his phone to her after connecting it to the bluetooth in his car. He pulled out of the parking spot and took a deep breath, preparing for the mass amounts of traffic they're about to hit.

"What do you want me to do with this?" She asked, picking up his phone and dropping it back into her lap haphazardly.

"Play music? I mean I can't do it my damn self, I'm controlling a vehicle." Karl said, flipping his blinker and turning onto the highway packed with cars. He just prayed his road rage was under control.