two

The alarm rang out on his end table. He could practically feel it vibrate his bed with how annoyingly loud it was. He cracked open his eyes and aimlessly flung his arm around, trying to hit the stop on his phone to turn off the incessant noise. It was probably nearing eight and he had to get up to go film with Jimmy, but his body protested with every move he made to get out of bed. He just didn't want to act like this happy go lucky guy today.

Maybe it's just the lack of caffeine yet today.

Despite every nerve and muscle in his body screaming for him to stay in bed, he got up and stumbled his way to his bathroom. The shower knob squeaked as he turned on the hot water, the sound making him cringe. As he let the shower run, he brushed his teeth, staring at his unruly hair in the mirror. After a few minutes of brushing, he spit out the paste in his mouth and rinsed out the burning sensation of mint that overpowered.

His shower ran long as he zoned out through the minuscule tasks. He was unsure of how he ever got through his morning routines on time and still made it to work early, but somehow it's always like clockwork.

He stepped out after turning off the water, wrapping a towel around his waist and walking into his bedroom. He didn't feel refreshed, not whatsoever. But he did have a shock to his damn system when he looked up from staring at his feet to see one of his best friends sitting on his bed.

"Mornin!" Nick said, his southern accent peaking through his words. He looked exhausted and tired and Karl could smell the plane scent on him. "I already fed Lana. I put dry food down since I figure we'll be gone most of the day."

"Thank you, but the fuck are you doin' in my room?" He asked, walking to his closet to throw whatever clothes he deemed best fit for work on the bed.

"Makin' myself at home." He said with a smug look on his face. Karl shot him a glare, making it very obvious how much of a morning person he doesn't seem to be.

"Go sit in the hallway while I change, please." Karl sighed, running a hand through his wet hair and cringing at how wet his hand became.

"Yeah, alright." He laughed, walking out of Karl's room and shutting the door behind him. Karl changed quickly so he could properly greet his best friend who'd flown like an hour and a half to be here.

Once he opened the bedroom door, Nick tackled him in a hug. Karl hugged back, not realizing how much he'd genuinely needed it recently.

"Is it bring your best friend to work today? Because that's exactly what you're doing!" Nick yelled after stepping out of the hug. Karl hummed in response, walking downstairs to grab a monster to help wake him up. He chugged it, trying to forget the burning sensation in his throat at the carbonation. Once he was finished, he threw the can away and walked back up the stairs to gather his things.

He ticked off everything he needed. Phone, wallet, keys downstairs, shoes by the door, something to eat on the way out the door, Nick. As he exited his bedroom, he flicked off the light and jogged to the door, things coming into more focus as the caffeine started to kick in.

Nick followed him effortlessly, never missing a beat as they walked out the door and got into the car.

"I already miss my tesla." Nick complained.

"Well you'll miss me more when you leave." Karl joked, finally feeling a tad more like himself the more he woke up. They drove to the warehouse, Nick choosing the music. They got there early, as per every morning.

"Jimmy! I have arrived!" Karl yelled as he walked into one of the many entrances to the warehouse.

"We're over here!" Kris yelled, her voice echoing off the walls. Karl and Nick ran to the voices, mentally agreeing to race there without the words needing exchanged.

"I won, bitch!" Nick screamed as he made it to the boys quicker. Karl laughed breathily as he walked the rest of the distance. He wasn't completely out of breath, just still trying to gather his bearings from waking up less than an hour ago.

"You always win." Jimmy laughed. Nick boasted about that comment for the next ten minutes and Karl could have strangled him if he wanted to.

"We get it, we get it! Shut your damn face!" Karl said with a laugh. Nick elbowed him as he laughed back.

"Big day of filming, you boys ready?" Jimmy asked, looking around at everyone and automatically including Nick. He was used to Nick just randomly showing up. Instead of planning meetups, knowing Karl never knew his schedule, he just booked a ticket when he felt like it and flew out. It was something Karl always appreciated after he was gone, but always got annoyed at in the beginnings of his stay.

"As I'll ever be." Karl said with a smile.

Filming ended almost twelve hours later, the boys barely getting enough time to break for more than fifteen minutes every few hours. Karl always loved it though, being busy. As much as he hated constantly over exerting himself and dealing with the consequences later, he still loved every minute he was doing something to busy himself. They all got some food and ate together before going their separate ways.

Nick and Karl walked to the car in the dark, both pulling their jackets tighter around their body as they trekked in the cold.

"So, can we talk about Nadia?" Nick asked, tanking Karl's mood immediately. Karl acted like he couldn't hear Nick as he got in his car. He made sure to readjust his seat and mirrors despite the settings never having changed in his many years of driving.

"No? Yes? Maybe? Actually, I don't know Nick, she just gets under my skin. Maybe if i-"

"Would you shut up?" Karl growled out through a clenched jaw. He started the car and turned the music up, drowning out any words to come from Nick's mouth. He knew his reaction was harsh, but he really didn't want to talk about her right now.

"Sorry." Nick muttered. Karl never heard it, too focused on the loud music that could blow out his speakers at any minute as the flooring vibrated beneath his feet.