Taking a seat on the back of the boat, she made sure she could see anyone coming in her direction and sent the text to Alex to be alert. They weren't in the clear just yet. She sent the location and time to meet and left it at that. When Alex confirmed it she breathed a sigh of relief.

Hopefully the rest of this plan will go smoother than it started.

Sam let the cool pacific air blow over her and closed her eyes. She didn't bother to open her eyes when the sun was blocked. She had already seen the person when they boarded the ferry.

"Well isn't this convenient. It's Sam, right?" Veronica said standing over her.

"Samina, yes. I'm sorry I don't remember your name," she did, but she didn't want Veronica to think that she was that important to be remembered.

"Veronica, Agent Veronica Bell, FBI," holding her hand out as if it was the first time she introduced herself, Sam looked at the gesture and smiled but ignored it.

"Of course. What can I do for you, agent?" she asked, bored already with the conversation.

"Why are you leaving the island this morning?" Veronica asked, crossing her arms over her chest.

"I have a job to finish for a client," not a lie at all. "I plan on coming back by the end of the week. I actually have plans to meet with agent McKenzie when I get back."

"Really? Why is that?" Sam realized immediately that Veronica didn't like that.

"We have a dinner date," Sam smiled, enjoying the moment as anger turned Veronica's face a bright red. "Are you okay, agent? You look a little bit seasick?"

"I'm fine! You asked him out? Isn't that a conflict of interest, considering that he has been investigating you for the last two years?" Oh this is more than just a work issue, she has a thing for Knox!

"I'm sorry I don't know what you're talking about," playing dumb isn't the easiest thing considering that Sam knows exactly what she's talking about. But she has to save her own butt.

"You're Samantha Midnight. You know it! I know it!" Veronica accuses her without a hint of hesitation.

"And your proof of this is where?" Sam asks without getting upset.

She knew if Veronica had any evidence of who she was that she would be in handcuffs and headed to jail. The FBI doesn't have anything on her. Nothing more than she was at the same event as the gem that was stolen. As were a hundred other people. They can't prove a thing.

"Veronica! Back off!" Turning around the agent looked to see who was stopping her as Sam leaned to see who was saving her.

The beach bum agent walked up and she realized that she wasn't as safe as she thought. Meeting Alex wasn't a good idea. She couldn't text her to warn her, she was just going to have to wing this.

"Marcus, cutie! What are you doing here?" Veronica tries to flirt with him.

Cringing, the beach bum agent steps around the woman keeping her at arm's length. "Sam, you don't have to answer any of her questions. She doesn't have any evidence against you and is not going to pursue you in this case."

Marcus gave Sam a small apologetic smile and turned to Veronica as if he was sent to guard Sam. "Leave her alone, now."

Sam was curious about this turn of events. She knew last night Marcus was suspicious of her. She knows this woman doesn't trust her. The only one who is actually on her side is Knox and that is because he was holding her hand the entire time the heist was happening. So what changed?

Veronica, angry, and from what Sam could see, jealous, stormed off leaving her alone with Marcus. He very calmly took a seat next to Sam as if she would talk to him now that he got rid of that woman.

"I'm sorry about her. No one likes working with her. She's a pain in Knox's ass." Marcus apologizes.

"And now you are going to be smoother and politer than she was about accusing me for the same crimes?" Sam wasn't going to fall for the good cop bad cop game.

"No. Knox is my friend. He doesn't mix his work and personal life. Ever. For him to bring a date to a stakeout is new. I have to ask why you?" Marcus is at least being honest, Sam can determine that much.

"I wasn't his date. A friend offered me a ticket knowing that I would be interested in the gems. I ran into him here. He decided to stick with me. I'm sorry if I distracted him from doing his job. It wasn't my intention. I don't want him getting in trouble because of me," Sam honestly didn't want Knox to get reprimanded. She enjoyed the cat and mouse game they played.

"He's not in trouble. He's on vacation and wasn't supposed to even be there. But it's interesting that he's gotten hooked up with you and another gem goes missing," Marcus' suggestion is too close to the truth.

"I'm a jewelry designer, a gemologist. I don't know what you're talking about but I'm not a thief!" Defending myself I stand up and decide I'm better off moving away from him before he puts anymore together.

"Don't go far, Sam. I might have more questions for you," Marcus is going to figure this out sooner than later. It's time for Sam to disappear again. And now she won't be able to go home again.

Using the cover of two friends meeting for lunch, Sam went to the cliffside restaurant and looked for Alex. It took a moment, Alex was in one of her disguises and she didn't recognize her. Seeing her friend had already arrived she went straight over to the table.

"Old friends having lunch," Sam whispered as she hugged Alex and felt the weight of the stone being placed in her bag.

"It's so good to see you again!" Alex gushed with a smile on her face. "You haven't changed a bit."

"Neither have you, I'm sorry I'm late." Taking her seat, Sam kept her bag securely inside the booth away from the aisle.

"Are we being watched?" Alex asked softly as she sipped her tea.

"Yes, the FBI have been on my ass all morning. A woman, Veronica Bell, and a man, Marcus Rhodes, he looks like a beach bum." She describes them.

"I know them," Alex grins and lets out a bawdy laugh. "Laugh Sam, you better get better at this game or we'll both be in jail."

Sam did as she was told. Alex was good at the grift. She knew her mark, she knew her audience, and she could play any role. Sam was impressed. They ate lunch and as they did Alex coached her on how to play her part in this roose.

Sam listened intently. This wasn't her forte. She worked in the dead of night, alone and with no need for communication, flirtation or learning how to dupe her mark. It's all so confusing and so much more than just getting in and out. Sam has a lot to remember.

As they walk out of the restaurant they say their goodbye and give each other a hug. Alex whispers in her ear, "You can do this. I had fun, thanks for the job," and with that she walked away.

Leaving Sam holding the bag literally, she watched the woman leave as she thought about what she had to do next. She had to get rid of the stone. Which wasn't going to be as easy.

Pulling out her phone, she dialed his number. "I'm back. Yes I have it. I need to meet you today. I have to get out of town today. The FBI are on my heels. Yes, I know it. Okay."

With that she walked away from the restaurant and headed for the final drop. Sam would send her aunts a letter explaining how she got a job offer and had to take it. She would send them money. They would have a comfortable life. That's all that matters. Some day she will come home.

Please remember to vote comment and share