The relic

4 hours earlier.

"You are doing well." Isidora spoke softly, hands folded in front of her. "I've been watching you closely. You are much closer than you believe."

Aya crossed her arms. This was the first time in nearly a month that she had spoken with Isidora and the woman had not kept to her promise. Her anger was evident. "I want to know more about my powers."

"Have you not learned more? To learn more about your powers, you must learn more about yourself."

"I already know everything about myself. I need to know about my powers." Aya was beginning to get frustrated. "Ranrok is getting stronger. More people are dying because of him. If I can stop him I need to know how!"

"Do you? Because I don't think you do. Continue to learn, continue to grow." Isidora turned to walk away.

"You can't just leave! I need answers!" Aya was furious. Ready to explode at the woman. Instead of retorting, Isidora simply grinned and nodded. An understanding nod, she'd been in the same position as Aya. She knew how Aya had felt. But she had learned the same way as Aya was learning. And she intended for her to continue to learn that way.

*****

Sebastian had asked Aya to meet with him regarding the spell book. In the Undercroft he explained that he had found a relic that could control dark curses. He was ecstatic about what he'd learned, but the only thing Ominis had heard was dark magic. He practically begged Sebastian to leave it alone, to look for another way. They argued, and Sebastian stormed off.

"He doesn't understand." Ominis stated, knowing Aya was still with him. "Dark magic isn't anything to toy with. It's dangerous and it looks promising until it's too late. Aya, please, don't let him do this. He won't listen to me anymore. You have to keep him from pursuing this path."

"I can't promise anything, Ominis." Aya frowned, knowing she was powerless against what Sebastian wanted. "I can try, but I can't stop him from doing what he wishes." The truth was, Aya wasn't worried about him using dark magic. If Sebastian could properly use it, then he wouldn't use it for evil. He wasn't evil. He'd probably never use it again after saving Anne.

She knew Ominis, though. He'd be devastated if he lost Sebastian to this. Going down this path was dangerous, and he was far too young to go down it alone. That's why Aya was going down it as well. So, for Ominis, she'd try. Try to keep him safe. She would take the blame if she had to.

Aya walked out of the Undercroft and made her way to the Room of Requirement. There, she entered one of her vivariums and rested with her animals. She smiled as she watched a family of Nifflers play together. Rolling around and running back and forth. Two young ones, siblings, played with each other the most. It reminded her of herself and her brother.

She hadn't heard from him since Halloween and she missed him greatly. One of the baby Nifflers made its way to her and rested on her lap as she thought of her situation. Her pursuit of knowledge of her ability to see Ancient Magic had her stuck in the library almost constantly. Her pursuit to help Sebastian cure Anne had her running to many different ancient tombs and caverns, reading old notes that hardly made any sense. Now, Natty and Poppy was wanting her help with taking down poachers. She was exhausted.

For just one moment she wanted a break, a moment to rest and think about what needed to be done. She sighed, wishing she had the answer to every one of her problems. Her thoughts were interrupted by the sound of someone entering the vivarium. She opened her eyes, expecting it to be Deek but was surprised to find Sebastian standing before her.

"Sebastian," she sat up. "How did you- how did you find this place?" She asked in shock.

Sebastian shrugged and sat next to her. "I was looking for you when a set of doors appeared. Inside I found the most beautiful room imaginable. Filled with potion materials and plants. I thought it was a room for the professors until I found you in here."