The Scriptorium

A gentle breeze blew through the tiny hamlet of Feldcroft. November had arrived and the weather was gradually changing. The air had grown colder. Aya pulled her cloak tighter around her before she rapped softly on the door in front of her. Her breathing unsteady as she anticipated the arrival of the owner of the home.

The door creaked open, revealing Solomon Sallow. He glanced over the girl before nodding. "Aya," he spoke. "Looking for Anne?"

"Yes." She replied. "Is she available?" Solomon opened the door and pointed to the kitchen where Anne was knelt. She wore a warm dark green dress and a red headscarf to keep herself warm. She was preparing a wicker basket, not paying any mind to what was going on behind her.

Aya walked towards her and tilted her head. "Hi, Anne." She smiled.

Anne looked up, startled for a moment before grinning. "Oh, Aya!" She stood and pulled the girl into a hug. "I haven't seen you in some time. What are you doing here?"

"I came to check on you. My last class was canceled for the day." Aya chuckled. Peeves the poltergeist had decided that it would be funny to flood the potions classroom. Much to Professor Sharp's dismay. The class was canceled while the professors worked on getting rid of what they hoped was a water filled classroom.

"Oh Peeves!" Anne laughed. "I miss that poltergeist." She picked up the basket and reached out for Aya's hand. "Come pick apples with me. I'm in dire need of fresh air."

Aya took Anne's hand and the two walked outside together, making their way to the orchard. Anne spoke fondly of how when she was a child, she and Sebastian would spend hours playing outside. After they began attending Hogwarts, Ominis would join them. Of course, as time passed they began doing other things. Playing turned into doing chores for their uncle and helping around the hamlet. Aya adored listening to Anne's stories. She imagined how her life would have been had her mother had not lied to her.

"I heard your family visited on Halloween. Ominis told me that your brother adored the common room." Anne glanced over to Aya, noticing the frown on her face. "Aya?" She asked. "What's wrong?"

With a shaky sigh, Aya explained everything. How her mother had lied to her about being a witch. How her father had worked with Victor Rookwood and died at the hands of Aurors. She then, very reluctantly, explained to Anne about the portkey that took her and Professor Fig to Gringotts. She explained how she ended up in Professor Rackhams vault and her encounter with Ranrok.

"Rackham? You mean Percival Rackham?" Anne asked as she picked an apple from a tree. She inspected it before placing it in her basket.

"Yes. Have you heard of him?"

Another apple was carefully picked from the tree. Anne nodded and turned to Aya. "He is mentioned in a book that Sebastian gifted me for Christmas last year." Anne furrowed her eyebrows, deep in thought. "He was a noted seer who was admitted into Hogwarts in his fifth year. It was also rumored that he could see traces of a dormant type of magic." She stopped what she was doing and turned to Aya. "Can- can you see this magic too?"

Aya froze. How did Anne know so much? Did Sebastian tell her? Very reluctantly, Aya nodded. "Yes," she spoke. "Yes I can see ancient magic." Aya proceeded to explain everything she could to Anne. Making sure to not leave out important details. And that's when she also explained to Anne about Isidora. How she once lived in Feldcroft and could use ancient magic as well. Anne's eyes were wide with both surprise and horror.

"Aya," Anne breathed. "Why are the goblins here then? At Isidora's home? Are they looking for ancient magic too? Is that..." she paused, "is that what they cursed me with?" Anne sat down on the ground. Aya could tell her mind was racing.