Chapter Eleven

Daniel's gaze returns to his phone. He begins typing something on it. Not even the corners of his eyes stray from the screen, and I get a prickling sense that he's sending a message related to me.

"Hey, what's your name?" I ask, crossing my legs toward him.

No response, not even a flicker of his eyes toward.

"Do you... know of any good restaurants around here? I'm a little lost. This is my first time in Seattle, and I have no idea where I'm going either." I force a laugh. "In fact, I don't even know where I'm staying. Are you staying at an expensive hotel? Maybe I can check it out." Heat burns my cheeks as I suddenly realize the implication of what I just said. "I mean, I would pay for my own room. I have a credit car—"

"What are you doing here?" he growls.

"Huh?"

"You're that girl who bought the angelfish back in—" He snaps his fingers. "— Bellecrest."

My brow furrows. "I'm sorry, but I don't believe we've met before."

"Not formally. But certainly in passing." He regards me with suspicion. "What are you doing here?"

I shrug. "Just going to the opera."

His eyes narrow, and I realize my mistake. Shoot. He must think that I'm part of this weird, messages and fantastical treasure hunt.

Which I am. He isn't wrong to presume so. It just makes it harder for me to play a naive bystander.

"Who do you report to?" Daniel's voice drops to barely a whisper, and I have to lean closer to hear him.

"No one," I say.

He shakes his head. "No way. I don't believe it. Too much strange stuff has been reported in the last week. You're working for someone."

I have to play my cards right here. Whatever I do, I must uncover where his pass is, or at least find out which hotel he's staying at.

"Look, I don't know what's going on here," I say. "But I'll give you the fish on one condition: that you tell me why you want it."

"I can't do that."

I squint. "Not even a little bit? Not even a semi-explanation, even if you don't share it all?"

Daniel regards me with suspicion. Reluctantly, he nods. "Fine. You have yourself a deal." He leans forward and slides back the partition. "Can you take us to the nearest restaurant?"

"There's a steak restaurant right by the Grand Star Hotel. Will that do?"

Daniel's eyes lock on mine. He heard the driver's slip just as loudly as I did. Now I know where he's staying.

"That will be fine." He sighs, leaning back in his seat. Turning to me, he asks, "is the fish with you in Seattle."

I mime zipping my lips and tossing the key on the cab's floor. He rolls his eyes.

"Just be forewarned: if this is a trap, you'll be seeing real angels, not fishes."

🕸 ✩⋆。°🕸。°⋆✩🕸

The restaurant is loud inside, filled with well-dressed diners seated at tables with spotless, oyster-colored tablecloths. The hostess seats us at a two-person table by the windows. I'm grateful that it's not in the middle of the restaurant. It feels too much like a way to draw people's attention, even though most wouldn't take a second glance at us.

I glance over the menu, picking the first item that looks good. A waitress brings us water, then we both order. That's about the quickest time I've ever spent selecting a meal at a restaurant.