Ch.3: The Jessie Job

Start from the beginning

The trio entered the bar, just in time for Barret and Marlene to ascend into the main bar room via pinball machine. "We're back." Tifa greeted. "Did you have fun?" Marlene asked. Tifa chuckled. "Lots of fun." "Hi Y/n." "Hi Marlene." Barret walked towards the trio. "Hey, need y'all downstairs." "Uh, right now?" Asked Tifa. "The the plan is..." "Marlen, wanna go wait for Jessie out in front?" The little girl nodded. "Okay." She skipped towards the door and exited the bar. "Looks like we're officially on for tomorrow night then. Gotta go over the details with the others." "Woah Tifa, we got ears in here." Barret said as he glanced at Y/n. The three turned to the young man. "I don't know what you guys are on about, but I'd me more than happy to help." "Really? How much is your rate? SOLDIER boy here already has us in the red." "How about a drink and we call it even." Barret laughed. "Biggs was right about you. You're in." Barret turned towards the pinball machine. Cloud walked over to the man. "About my pay?" "You'll get your money. So sit down and shut up until we're finished. "Double time, Tifa." He finished before pulling a lever and descended

"I'm really sorry." Tifa apologized to Cloud. "But it shouldn't take much longer. In the meantime, grab a seat." Cloud and Y/n walked over to the bar. "What'll it be?" Cloud thought for a moment. "Not really in the mood." "Okay then. What about you Y/n?" "Something hard and bitter." Tifa smiled. "Got just the thing." She began to whip up a cocktail despite Y/n telling her to take it easy. Her upbeat attitude made it hard for Y/n to refuse a drink. Upon preparing the glass, Tifa slid it down the bar top towards Y/n who downed it. "Well? Most people would say something sweet right about now."

"I've had better

"I've had better." Y/n joked earning a gasp from Tifa. "I see. Aren't you a discerning customer. In which case..." Tifa began to stir up another drink. "The Cosmo Canyon." "You remembered." Y/n picked up the glass and towards Tifa's eye level. "Just can't get enough of the color. Beautiful." Tifa smiled as a blush formed on her cheeks. Y/n downed the drink. "Just as good as I remembered." Tifa blushed even more. "I gotta go." She said before jogging towards the pinball machine and descended.

"Seems like she really missed you." Cloud said. "Goes both ways my friend." Y/n responded by patting Cloud's back. "This does bring me back, when you tried go impress her my back flipping off of the water tower." "Hey! I would've landed it had it not been for your mom telling me to get down. Speaking of which, how is she?" Cloud went silent. "Oh man. Cloud... I-I'm so sorry." "It's fine." He said with a small sniffle.

The door to the bar opened and the two turned to see Jessie. "Hey! You see the news? The reactor bombing was the work of the eco-extremist group Avalanche. Public enemy number one! Gets your hear racing, doesn't it?" "Maybe I should've asked for more than a drink." Y/n said as he reached behind the counter for a beer. "Wait, you're joing up too?" "Barret seemed cool with it." "Awesome. First Cloud, now you. Avalanche is just the right place to meet cute guys." Y/n blushed in embarrassment and chuckled.

"You joining the next mission, Cloud?" "For the right price." "Oh, you can bet I'll be pushing hard for a raise! Tifa'll be joining us too, but I don't know. Even a blind man can see that her heart's not in it. She was never on board with the bombings, so if it comes down to do or die... If I've got to put my life in someone else's hands... then I'd rather that someone was a professional. Like you."