eight

I had the worst food poisoning from some Chinese food, I was at war, and after 3 hours I won 😞🫡

I got the call early in the morning, sweating as I rushed into the mall that had just gone into lockdown. We barely had time to discuss the case as it was fragile and time was quickly ticking. 

"Another female," Emily started, "Same age, same time of day taken from essentially the same location," She listed, folding her fingers. I nodded with the rest of the team before scoping out the area with my eyes while the chief explained how the cameras caught the girl being kidnapped but not leaving the building, meaning she was somewhere in there. 

"Whoever killed Jessica Davis last week, left that mall 'cause he wanted time with his victim in privacy," I spoke out about the girl we were notified about just recently, pulling my eyes back to the group. 

Hotch continued for me, "Assuming it's the same offender he wouldn't stray from his MO, he wouldn't leave his victim," He said before he began signing out everyone's jobs. 

"You guys start with Katie's parents," He then nodded toward me, Emily, and JJ as everyone separated. 

It's been two weeks since my date with Reid and my first day at the bau. I had expected it to be slower, but I was imminently swarmed with cases and tasks from anyone above me. 

An officer handed us a paper picture of the young girl who was kidnapped, my lips parted, drying out my mouth. She looks so much like Emilia, I can't stop thinking about it, yet I know this isn't about her. 

"Problem is, our unsub could be anyone," Emily muttered as we stood looking around for a moment before JJ caught a glimpse of the parents making us speed walk to the stressed adults who argued with an officer.

"This can't be easy," My lip tightened as I spoke, "We're here to walk you through this" I tried to be as warm and kind as I could.

We comforted them more before the group and the family of the victim went into a separate room. JJ showed them a split image of what we found out was Katie, a little girl with her back facing the cameras and the only thing identifying her was the two ponytails wrapped with light hair ties.

"Katie has asthma, she needs her inhaler," The father spoke, his voice shaking as I frowned not even wanting to imagine how she was doing right now. I stood beside Reid, feeling as he lightly planted his hand on my waist, also seeming to frown when I looked up at his face. Hotch explained they needed to be separately debriefed which they reluctantly agreed to and separated into different rooms. I walked off with Reid and Morgan but not before hearing Katie's mother cry in one of the rooms. 

"Jeremy, we-- we asked you mom, and dad if we could talk privately," Reid sat down in front of Katie's older brother. "Though it might be easier that way," I stood by his side, looking down at the boy with his head hung.

"Cause my dad thinks this is my fault," He mumbled, playing with his fingers.

"No," I called out, "Jeremy, your dad is just super upset right now because times like this, people get really emotional," I explained trying my best to comfort the little boy. Jeremy began to panic when Reid asked him about the last moment he saw Katie, his hands began to shake and his breath quickened. He stood up, barely getting out that he couldn't breathe. 

Morgan showed him a technique to stop the anxiety. "Put your head between your knees, That's right," We all stood around him, giving each other worried looks.

----------------------------------------

We had just finished the cognitive interview with Jeremy, the boy obviously hid something from us but still he helped the profile a lot. I moved away for a moment, finding it hard to stomach the events, I played with my ring by the bathrooms, trying to control my own breathing this time. 

"Vera?" I turned to Spencer who had been next to me this whole case.

"Mhm," I looked up at his scrunched brows.

"I u- I know she looks like her," He grabbed my shoulder when he saw the state I was in.

"I'm trying so hard not to think about it," I forced a small smile, "Katie needs all of my attention," I said guiltily. He rubbed my shoulder again before letting go and putting his hands in his pocket.

"It's okay to feel bad about it, you have that right Vera," Spencer said, as I let go of my own hands and looked up at him, studying his face for the millionth time since I met him. 

"I guess," I muttered, silence falling between us before Morgan ran over.

"We're going to search Katie's house," He said as we followed him, but not before I planted a small kiss on Reid's lips trying my best to do it at a time no one was looking, needing that strength to continue this day.

Authors note:

I'm so sorry I'm trying to update but it has been hard, I failed my permit twice and lowkey got disowned for a different reason soooo yeah life is great, God bless yall 🥰🥰

no idea if it's okay but all that matters is that I posted after 6 days 🙋🏻‍♀️😫