31| God's Chosen

Take Me To Church
God's Chosen (Chpt. 31)
---

Salem sits in the passenger seat, head leaning on the window. She watched as the scenery blurred by. Dean sat beside her, hands gripping the wheel tight. His eyes focused closely on the road, but every now and again Salem would catch him glancing back at Sam through the rearview mirror.

The man in the back rested against the door in a similar manner to his sister. He didn't say a word, but the sound of his foot anxiously tapping echoed through the car, cutting through the silence.

Dean joined in, tapping his fingers against the wheel. With every tap, Salem cringed, growing impatient. She let out a sigh and sat up, swinging an arm around the back of her chair to face Sam.

"Would you stop?" She hissed.

Sam sits up, stopping his foot. He looks at his sister confused, then glances to Dean for help. Dean still tapped his finger in the wheel, not taking his eyes off the road, chimes in.

"What's your problem?" Dean asks. He furrows his brows and bites the inside his cheek.

"I'm not talking about his freaking foot." Salem says. Her voice is laced with annoyance as she takes her arm back and faces the windshield again. "I'm talking about acting like none of that happened."

"Salem-"

"No Dean," Salem says, cutting her brother off. "Lucifer has risen because of him. He walks on earth because of our brother."

"I-"

"Sam, I don't care about the whole demon blood thing." She says. "I'm just glad you're okay, but we can't just ignore the fact the world is about to freaking end."

Sam drops his gaze to the floor, messing with the hem of his flannel. Dean glances to Salem. "Before we can figure out how to save the world- which we will-" he points a finger at his sister and raises his eyebrows as if to warn her not to give up hope. "We need to figure out how we got out of there."

Salem shrugs. "You're not going to like my answer."

"Which is..." Sam pushes.

"God." She states flatly. She shrugs, glancing out the window beside her and waiting for them to protest. She knew Dean at least would.

"God?" Dean repeats. He laughs and shakes his head, glancing back to see Sam's reaction. He's disappointed when his brother seems to find it a valid suggestion. "Angel's maybe, but god? God saving three nobody's like us?"

"Correction." Salem says, turning to Dean and smirking. "Two nobody's. I'm somebody."

"To god?" Dean asks, a smirk on his lips. He can't help but laugh at his sister.

"Yeah." She says.

Dean shakes his head amusedly. "What kind of drugs did you get into?"

Salem sighs then looks back to Sam. "A little help here?"

"Salem... you realize you're making zero sense right now, right?" He says cautiously.

Salem bites her lip and then faces the windshield again. She pinches the bridge of her nose, trying to figure out how to phrase things in a way her brothers would be able to understand.

"Dean, when we were at Bobby's, you weren't the only one who vanished." She explains, earning a curious look from each of her brothers. "I was taken to a room just down the hall from you."

"What are you guys talking about?" Sam asks from the back seat, glancing from sibling to sibling

"Shush." Salem says, waving a hand at her brother. "While I was there, Cas told me something."

"Cas?" Dean asks. "You've seen him?"

"Yeah. I saw him before he poofed me to the church." She explains. "And when I was with him, he told me something extraordinary."

"What- that he's in love with you?" Dean jokes, smiling at his own joke.

"What? No-" she paused. "We did kiss though."

Dean's eyes widen and his grip tightens on the wheel.

"Would you just spit it out?" Sam asks from the back seat, growing impatient. "What did he tell you?"

"That I'm god's chosen."

Dean snorts.

"You dick." She hisses, slapping him in the arm.

He meets his sister's gaze and the smile on his face fades. "You're being serious?"

"Yes!" She says, rolling her eyes. "When I was born, god chose me to save the world. This apocalypse was fated to happen and he chose me to protect earth when it does."

Dean glances back to Sam, who shrugs.

"Sam, just like how you had Demon blood in you, I have Angel grace."

Sam laughs through a sigh, smirking and sticking a hand out to stop his sister. "Okay- are you sure Cas was telling you the truth?"

"Why would he lie to me?" She asked, furrowing her brows at her brother. She glances to Dean then swings an arm around the back of her seat to face Sam completely.

"Because he's an angel." Dean answers.

"Zachariah said the same thing." She says. She bites her cheek and lowers the sound of her voice, dropping her gaze. "Right before saying god left the picture."

"So then in wasn't god?" Sam asked, furrowing his brows. He leans forward, resting his elbows on his knees.

"You thought it was?" Dean asks, laughing again.

Salem rolled her eyes, slapping her brother's arm again. "I don't know who it was, okay?" She says. "But it was the best thing I've got."

"Say you are god's chosen." Dean says. "Isn't an angel just as capable as beaming our asses out of there?"

"I don't know, Dean." She says, going impatient. "And do you seriously not believe me?"

"I don't know what I believe, Salem." He says, letting out a sigh. "I really don't."

Salem sighs, taking her arm back and sitting normally in her seat yet again. She rests her hands in her lap and looks out the window. "Where are we even going?" She mumbles into the glass.

"I have a place in mind." Her brother replies.

Then the three sat in an awkward silence for the rest of the ride.

I want so badly to write for the final episode of season fourteen

I want so badly to write for the final episode of season fourteen. I've come up with such a big plot twist... you guys just aren't ready.

-Kaitlyn