PERFECTLY IMPERFECT || NINE

0.9 alumni dinners

SMOOTHING DOWN THE ANKLE LENGTH, off the shoulder black dress that enhanced her curves, the new face of the bringston track & field program had peeked her head inside of the room—where the alumni dinner was being held, and released a low sigh from her lips as she took a step back.

She was extremely nervous. She wasn't nervous about being in a crowd of people that she didn't know, even though that did have her a little anxious, but—she was nervous about meeting the former members of the bringston track & field team.

The teenager knew that the alumni's were going to be watching her closely this upcoming season. With them wanting to see whether or not she lived up to the hype, that was surrounding her name. To see if she was worthy of having bringston across her chest.

As she took a much needed deep breath, to calm down her raging nerves, Devyn had pushed her now bone straight hair over her shoulders before entering the booming dinner hall. With her briefly taking in the packed room, ignoring everyone around her, she silently searched for any one of her friends—needing a familiar face to get her through the night.

"Devyn!"

Turning her head in the direction of her name being called, a pleased sigh slipped through her lips as she noticed Simone standing there with Jordan, Damon and Erica. Awkward.

With her knowing that there was some tension there, Devyn headed in the direction of her friends—after seeing the pleading look Simone was sending her. As the sound of her heels clicking against the concrete floor being drowned out by the excessive chatter happening all around them, the teenager smiled softly once she reached her them.

"Hey." Devyn said as her eyes briefly bounced between the four-member group. Simone, stepping forward to greet her friend with a hug, and making sure to compliment her. "Thank you, you look beautiful by the way."

"Thanks." Simone said, thanking her friend as they broke apart from one another. As her eyes drifted over towards the much taller boy at her side, Devyn greeted Jordan with a small smile—which he returned.

Turning to face Damon, who eyes were already on her, the teenager smiled at him as he reached over to wrap his arm around her shoulders—tugging her towards him as he whispered a compliment in her ear. "You look incredible tonight."

"Thanks." She mumbled, smiling softly at his words.

As her gaze somehow found his date eyes, she quickly cleared her throat as she pulled away from the brief hold that Damon had—before fully stepping away from him. With her reaching up to smooth her hair down, Devyn had to forced the corners of her lips to stay wide, as she sent Erica a forced smile.

"Hey, Erica, right? From yesterday?" Devyn questioned as if she didn't already know the girl was—which had the Erica nodding her head. "Okay."

As the five of them looked between one another, Devyn cleared her throat once more as she lightly motioned towards to no one in particular. "So, uhm, I'm just going to....."

Walking away from them, feeling awkward, Devyn maneuvered her way through the bodies and tables as she tried to find her seat. With her eyes somehow finding Saija, sitting at a table across the room with a bored expression, the teenager quickly hurried over to her teammate—thankful to see someone she knew.