Chapter 20

^^Art by Enderutsu

^^Art by Enderutsu

The gray sky roiled with dark gloomy clouds. A thick heaviness seemed to fill the atmosphere as Cloud stepped in front of the pup regiment to take his place at the forefront. His ears drooped and his shoulders sagged with the heaviness that weighed on him. He didn't get much sleep the previous night.. For every moment was plagued with the guilt and despair that his sister's death had tolled on him. He wasn't even given a full day to mourn for her.. And now he had to plunge into the battle that he had agreed to partake in.

He wondered if it was really worth it now that Freya was gone. Storm seemed to be giving him the affection he had always dreamed of.. The Sky Alpha even insisted that he move back into the main den with him.. But he felt oddly cold and detached from it all..

He couldn't believe that just yesterday morning, his dear sister was still here, sleeping in their Aunt's den at this time as the sky lightened above them. He wished he hadn't spent their last moments together in resentment and hurtful anger.. If only he had known that his foolish plan would get Freya murdered by their father.. He would have never brought it up in the first place! Now it was only him and Storm in what was once their family of five. Guilt and shame wrenched his heart... He himself was to blame for the death of not one.. But two of his own siblings.

Cloud sighed heavily and looked up as Storm took his place on the front lines, alongside Hurricane, fully clad in his armor, ready to lead them off into battle. The Sky Alpha looked gleeful this morning, which looked strange among the crowd of solemn faces around him. He didn't seem to have any remorse at all for what he had done to his daughter just the day before.. But then again, Cloud was sure his father had been waiting for the right moment since day one..He had just needed an excuse to do it.

His stomach churned in disgust. How could someone like that be his own Father? How could he have craved his affections and praise so badly? Had he been that unaware of his twisted ways? Or was he just so starved of attention since he was a young pup as he watched Lightning and Freya get showered with attention while he got nothing from either parent that he was blind to it all?

Storm seemed to sense that someone was staring at him, so he turned his head in Cloud's direction and gave him a big toothy smile. Cloud almost vomited what little of the vole he managed to shove down earlier that morning and looked away. No.. he was no longer going to fight for a vile brute like Storm.. He was going to fight for Freya. The brave wolf that, even in her final moments, stood up in the face of danger for justice. The kind she-pup that showed him kindness even though she had seen him at his weakest.. Who took him in, despite him constantly being mean and flat out bullying her.. He was going to fight for her.. The she-pup he would have been proud to call his Alpha.

A single bark echoed throughout the air, and everyone got ready for takeoff.

Cloud lifted his head a little higher as a new energy burned inside of him. He spread his wings and his gray eyes were alight with a new motivation. For Freya.. He thought as he took off into the skies.