New Girl

-Hiro-

Another day at school.

Ugh. I can barely stay awake during class. Every time I try to concentrate my eyes automatically droop down.

Welp, I guess a little nap before class won't hurt anyone.

I spent all night preparing for the super convention coming up--tuning up my gear and making sure my hero suit is ready to go. The fact that I get to meet other REAL heroes gets me pumped up.

"HIRO HAMADA! HEAD UP!"

Welp. Guess I cant sleep anymore. 

I drag my head up to find an unfamiliar girl standing awkwardly in front of my desk. 

"What?", I slowly say, still waking up. 

"Umm, I'm sitting next to you now..", the girl says as she shyly smiles.

"Says who?" I snap back.

Oops, I didn't mean that to sound threatening. But I did just wake up from a nap and I also do prefer the extra empty desk space.

The girl startles back, but stands her ground. "Says the Teacher. Sorry, you probably didn't hear while you were sleeping". 

And with that she plops herself next to me.

Yep, that's my bad. 

I rub the back of my neck in embarrassment

Well, I should at least introduce myself since we're gonna be sitting next to each other for the entire semester.

"Ahem, I'm Hiro Hamada", I say as I stick out my hand. 

She stares at my hand and hesitates as if its a life changing decision. But eventually she takes it, "I'm Violet Parr, but you can call me Vi".

Violet. What a nice name.

* * * 

The class flew by surprisingly fast and before I knew it, the end of the day arrived. As I walk home I hear a faint thud in the ally I was passing by. It wasn't loud, but my feet turn to check it out. 

Then I hear a painful yell. 

That's definitely not good. 

I start running as fast as I can to the direction of the scream. I turn around the corner and see my childhood friend, Julia, and her other friends surrounding another girl. I stop myself and hide back behind the corner. 

Julia isn't the kind of person to do this kind of thing. Maybe there is a reason?

Then I hear Julia's voice.

"HA! Now do you get the idea? I'm dead serious about this. So you better watch your back!", Julia spits as she kicks the girl hard in the stomach. The girl in response gave out another scream. 

Yup, its time to interfere. Even if she isn't the kind of person to do these things, what I'm seeing her do right now is definitely wrong no matter what the circumstance is. 

I sprint towards them.

"Julia, stop!"

The girls turn and quickly dart out of the ally while yelling, "THIS ISN'T OVER!". 

With that, I quickly rush to the injured girl.

"Are you okay?", I ask as I start checking out her injuries. 

No response. 

She's definitely breathing. Some blood is coming from the top of her head. A few small bruises on her leg and upper thigh. And a huge bruise on her stomach. Some internal organs may have been damaged...

I look at her face and I feel my heart drop. 

Through all the sweat, blood and matted hair on her face, I can tell from a mile away.

It's the new girl.

Violet.