Chapter 20

Childhood Memories

"Taylah... I spotted you conversing with Ynessa. My heart whispered that something might be amiss, so I sought you out," Keanu expressed, his face adorned with genuine concern.

My ears buzzed from the tears clouding my eyes. I wiped away my tears and scrutinized the man in front of me. It was Keanu, and he wasn't wearing a hoodie anymore. In that moment, I couldn't fathom how he always manages to find me when I need someone the most. It's as if he is my knight in shining armor, appearing with unwavering support whenever the shadows of despair start to loom. The comfort he brings feels like a beacon of hope, lighting up the darkness that surrounds me.

Naglakad papalapit sa akin si Keanu. The overwhelming pain that gripped my heart earlier now found solace in the mere sight of him. As he sat beside me, he gently tapped my shoulders, providing a comforting warmth that eased the burdens weighing on my soul.

May luha na tumakas mula sa mga mata ko pero ngayon hindi mabigat ang nararamdaman ko dahil alam ko na may kasama ako sa tabi oo. I don't have to shoulder the problems alone because I have now someone I can rely on. Keanu was right that there are moments when solitary battles become necessary for personal growth. Yet, having someone by your side for support makes the journey more manageable.

In the quiet solitude of our conversation, I whispered, "She was the one in the wrong. I merely spoke the words that needed to be said, yet..." I halted, the pain too intense to continue my words.

"You possess a goodness that goes beyond causing harm to others. Nasasaktan ka dahil mahal mo siya, ngunit ginawa mo lang ang nararapat na gawin mo," he said, offering a comforting smile. I simply nodded in acknowledgment, for his words resonated with the truth I couldn't deny.

Nanginginig ang mga kamay ko habang inaabot ang kanyang kamay. Kasabay ng paghawak ko sa kanyang kamay, bumuhos ang mga luha sa aking mga mata. Hinigit niya ako palapit sa kanya at mahigpit na niyakap. Ang yakap na 'yon ay nagbigay ginhawa sa aking puso at kahit paano'y nabawasan ang sakit na aking nararamdaman.

I never realized the power of a hug until he embraced me. Throughout my life, I've been conditioned to believe in the strength of solitude, as a Fabroa, that I should be self-sufficient, resilient on my own. However, Keanu has shown me that even someone inherently strong needs a pillar of support—acknowledging that strength doesn't mean facing battles alone. He taught me that vulnerability is not a weakness, and it's perfectly acceptable to shed tears when sadness overwhelms you.

"I possess all that one could desire, yet an overwhelming emptiness persists within," I confessed amidst tears. "Ang daming puwang sa puso ko."

In a gentle, reassuring tone, Keanu responded, "I am here to fill that emptiness."

I looked up at him, my eyes revealing a mixture of vulnerability and skepticism. "You can't—"

"I know you don't understand what I am saying. How can I fill that empty spaces? I don't know how, but I will try," Determination emanated from Keanu's eyes, silently assuring me that he was ready to go into the depths of my emptiness to fill the void.

With a blend of skepticism and a glimmer of hope, I reluctantly nodded in agreement. Nilahad ni Keanu ang kamay niya sa akin an malugod ko namang tinanggap. As his touch traversed the emotional chasm within me, I sensed a gentle warmth, a sincere yet cautious effort to mend the shattered fragments of my spirit.

"Let's go for a walk in the park, Taylah. Sometimes, nature has a way of healing what words cannot," aniya at inalalayan ako sa pagtayo.

"I'm still tied up with classes," I responded.