Chapter 7

Enemies

"Your parents are here. They're calling you to the dining hall," Leah announced from the doorway of my study room.

I smiled bitterly. Do they really have the time to share a meal with me? I can sense something fishy in the air. They wouldn't bother to join me for dinner unless it's something very important or related to my studies.

I tightened my grip on the pen. My parents only have time for me if I'm failing or if there's something significant they want me to do. When have I ever been important to them? When did I become their top priority?

They only love me because I excel. Their affection is solely for my talents, skills, and intelligence. Would they still love me if I weren't born a prodigy? Would they care for me if I hadn't won every competition I joined? Even with all my achievements, they only offer me a fraction of love, and everything I did is still not enough. How much more if I were not a successful person?

Dumiretso ako sa kusina at natagpuan ko ang mga magulang ko na kumakain. Binaba ni Mommy ang hawak nito na kubyertos at pinunasan ang bibig gamit ang table napkin. Tinaas nito ang tingin niya at sinenyasan ako na umupo.

"The Fiat Student Council election is approaching. You're going to join," she declared with a commanding tone.

I could sense that from the beginning. It was clear she wanted me to be part of the council, just like in the past. From elementary to high school, I've always been involved with the council. So, even before starting college, I knew I would once again be part of the council.

"I joined," I replied briefly, concentrating on my plate.

"What position?" she asked, her attention still on her meal.

"I don't know yet. I'll find a party list first."

"I've already found a party list," aniya at tinaas ang tingin sa akin "No... I've formed a party list. A strong one that will guarantee us victory."

My forehead creased. What did she mean by that? Why was she talking about forming a party list? Ano nanaman ba ang ginawa niya para lang manalo ako? My mom is committed to ensuring my success, yet her integrity remains unshakable. She would go to great lengths to secure my victory, but she staunchly refuses to resort to dishonest tactics. My mother firmly refuses to accept any victory obtained through deceitful methods.

"The children of Casa de Castillo will join forces. I'll create the most powerful party list that Fiat could ever have," my mom added.

My family has a legacy of success, and maintaining that record is a priority. Imperfections are seen as synonymous with losses, and our family takes pride in presenting ourselves flawlessly. Any form of defeat would be perceived as a stain on our reputation.

My mother, a strategic thinker, refrains from intervening in elections unless the chances of winning are substantial. Forming a formidable party list would imply a lack of confidence in my abilities, and that is something she is not willing to entertain. Napakagat ako sa labi ko. Hindi man lang sila nagtiwala sa akin na kaya kong manalo nang walang tulong mula sa kanila.

I found myself inside the house of Velijo family, and I'm not entirely sure how it happened. My mother, upon learning about the election, took the initiative. She arranged a meeting with the Vilejos to form a party list, including their son, Kaniel, who is also running for a position in the council.

Prominent families, along with their aspiring candidates, are also present. The Valmorida family has their daughter, Solair, running for a senatorial position. The Hermidillas are here too, with Zachrius aiming for the position of Chief of Justice.