Chapter 14

Painful Revelation

Solair said the party would start at 6 pm. It's already 6:30 pm, yet my parents are nowhere to be seen. They should have been here earlier since we're running late for the party. Did they forget about the victory party? Did they forget that today is the announcement of the election winners?

Magtataka pa ba ako kung nakalimutan nila? Lagi naman nilang nakakalimutan ang mga importanteng okasyon. Birthday ko nga nakalimutan nila.

Leah gently placed a hand on my shoulder. "Taylah, your parents won't be able to make it home because there's an emergency surgery at the hospital."

"Okay..." I said and smiled.

I shouldn't be feeling this way. I am so selfish for feeling upset. They are doing their best to save a life, and here I am feeling sad that they won't be here with me to celebrate my victory. I am a horrible person for wishing them to be here rather than saving the precious life of another person. Ang hirap talaga magkaroon ng mga magulang na doctor. May oras sila para sa lahat ng tao pero wala para sa anak nila.

"Hindi ka pa aalis, apo?" tanong ni Lola na pababa ng hagdan. "Kanina pa nagsimula ang party ah."

"Paalis na po ako," sagot ko at tumayo.

I glanced at my reflection in the mirror. I've been all dressed and ready to go for a while now, waiting on my parents. But it turns out I'm flying solo today. No worries from me, although I am feeling a bit down.

Sinamahan ako ni Leah sa party bilang kapalit ng mga magulang ko ngunit hindi ito magtatagal doon. Malapit lang ang convention hall pero nagpahatid na kami sa driver. Upon arrival, we were greeted by lively chatter and laughter. They seem so happy, able to cheer for the victory.

Happiness... Why do I feel a sense of longing for those who experience joy in their lives? Everyone is celebrating, and yet, I find myself overwhelmed with sadness. I feel like such a pessimist. Tonight, I should celebrate my victory, enjoy the festivities, and not let this gloominess overshadow the moment.

"You're late, Taylah," Solair said, she is holding a glass of wine. "I've been waiting for you."

Solair radiates natural beauty, with effortless grace in every aspect. Her face exudes perfection, and her physique is equally flawless. It's no wonder she's extremely popular in school. She possesses the kind of face and body that every girl dreams of having.

"Sol!" a group of girls called her.

"Just give me a moment. I'll be right back."

Niyakap nito isa-isa ang mga babae. Nanalo si Solair dahil sikat ito at kilala sa FLA. Marami itong circle of friends, at kaibigan nito ang halos lahat ng estudyante sa school.

I find myself unable to shake off the feeling of envy as I observe her, immersed in the warmth of care and affection from numerous individuals. It's very amazing to see the amount of affection that surrounds her.

Minamahal siya ng lahat habang ako ay nanlilimos ng pagmamahal sa mga magulang ko. Though I cherish my true friends and the love of my Lola, there's a persistent sense of discontent, even with these blessings. May kulang pa rin. May bahagi pa ng puso ko ang bakante.

"Taylah," a familiar voice rang out, and the distinctive scent instantly identified the speaker. "Congratulations, babe!"

I pivoted to face him, irritation evident in my expression. "Fuck off, Keanu."

He chuckled, undeterred. "Is that the extent of my reward for offering congratulations? Can't I at least get a kiss?" Keanu teased, extending his cheek playfully.