Chapter 8

Strawberry Milk

"Taylah!" a man's voice said my name.

Although I heard my name being called, fear rooted me to the spot. The uncertainty of what awaited us and the apprehension about our future paralyzed me. The unknown pressed down heavily, and as the future grew uncertain, I wondered if there was still a path forward for us.

"What's going on?" tanong ni Aethan.

Bumaba ang tingin niya sa braso ko at nakita niya ang tatlong maliit na sugat. Ngumiti ako at akmang itatago ang kamay ko sa likuran, ngunit agad niyang hinawakan ang braso ko. Pinagmasdan niya ang mga sugat ng ilang sandali at inangat ang tingin sa akin.

"Who did this to you? Si Ynessa ba? Sinaktan ka ba niya? Nakita ko siya na galing dito kaya 'wag mo siyang pagtatakpan," tanong nito at bakas sa tono nito ang galit.

"I'm fine, Aethan. It's just a scratch," I reassured him with a smile, attempting to convey that everything was under control.

"If this happens again, I won't consider her a friend because a true friend wouldn't do this," wika nito at niyakap ako ng mahigpit. "Don't let her treat you like this."

Despite dismissing it as just a scratch, the pain feels unbearable, like I'm being torn apart. Hindi ko na napigilan ang sarili ko at humagulgol na ako. Malaking parte ng buhay ko ang nawala sa araw na ito. I lost my friend, my sister, and my alter ego and a space in my heart will be forever empty without her.

"Aethan... I lost Ynessa. I'm sorry," I spoke, my voice thick with emotion. "Sinubukan ko naman. Kinausap ko siya. Ginawa ko naman ang lahat."

"You didn't lost her, she lost us."

Aethan escorted me home after the incident. Upon our arrival, my parents were absent, and the maids were preoccupied with their tasks. Ang tanging tao na lumapit sa akin at kumausap ay si Leah. Isang tao na hindi ko pa kadugo.

Si Leah ang personal na assistant ni Mom. Nakilala ni Mom si Leah sa outreach program nito sa isang probinsiya. Leah is alone and has no parents, so Mom took pity on her and adopted her. One year ago, she had just finished her residency program, and now she works as a doctor in our hospital. Despite the absence of a familial connection, Leah was the first to offer her support.

Umupo ako sa sofa. Namumuo na ang mga luha sa mata ko. Leah asked about what happened to me but I wasn't able to answer her. Aethan told her everything that happened. Hearing the story told by Aethan makes it more painful because what happened is just too tragic.

My once-best friend has turned into my enemy, and the most agonizing part is the lack of clarity on how and why this transformation occurred. I find myself questioning my value as a friend. Nagkulang ba ako? May mali ba sakin? Hindi ba ako sapat bilang kaibigan?

"We are now enemies," I uttered, and at that moment, my tears finally cascaded down.

Leah rose from her seat and approached me, sitting beside me as she enveloped me in a comforting hug. I glanced at Aethan, who offered a reassuring smile. Leah's embrace and Aethan's smile somehow eased the weight of the pain.

"You are now enemies, Taylah. It's not acceptable to be kind to those who aren't kind to you. Return the favor," Leah advised.

"I won't stoop that low."

"It's not about descending to their level. It's about making them taste their own medicine. Show them who you are. Let them understand their place. You are a Fabroa, and no one should dare to cross you," she said, sparking a realization within me.

Despite Ynessa pushing me away, I foolishly insisted on fitting myself into someone who didn't want me. I tried desperately to salvage our relationship, cherishing our shared memories. I couldn't bear losing her because she was my friend. Nakalimutan ko na ang halaga ko dahil sa kagustuhan na maayos ang pagkakaibigan namin.