"You are?" I asked surprised.

Mackenzie stopped packing her bag abruptly and turned around to face Layla. "What?! No! You can't do this to me! If you move out, they'll assign me another roommate, and I just can't take that. I'm already so used to you. You're such a good roommate-Is it me? Do you need me to clean my side of the room more? Because I'm prepared to do that sacrifice!"

I threw her a questioning look, but she ignored it. Is she doing this because of me?

"It's not that! I have family stuff going on, and my mom wants me at home. I don't have much of a choice. And I'm sure however moves in after me isn't a weirdo. There are a lot of nice people going here. Maybe it'll even be somebody you already know." She said optimistically.

But I noticed how she said that she will move back in with her mom because of family stuff. So her friend doesn't know she's sick? But she told me? It shouldn't make me feel special, but it does.

"Oh... man. So she's basically forcing you? Your mom really can be the worst. If I ever see her, remind me to throw her a death glare. I mean, we already established a routine, sort of." she scrunched her nose in annoyance.

"I don't think you're able to look mean! But you can try." Layla laughed lightly.

She finished packing her bag and stood in the middle of the room. "So this will be the last time I see you in this room while you're still living here, huh?"

"Yeah, I guess."

"You know, if your mom is a little too much, you could always crash here. And don't you dare cut contact off now! We're still gonna hang out!"

"Sure! I'll see you around..." Layla watched as Mackenzie walked towards the door.

"Oh and again it was nice to meet you Blaine!"

"Likewise!" I waved her goodbye as she left the room.

I turned back to look at Layla, only to already find her watching me. "Ask." She said.

"You didn't tell your friend you're sick?" I asked in a careful voice. I don't want to pressure her into telling me anything.

"No, I haven't been friends with her for that long. We're not that close, so I didn't want to...scare her, I guess?" I'm not sure if that's all, but I don't want to impose any more than I already did. "What else?"

"Ehm-you're moving in back with your mom? Mackenzie made it sound like you don't have the best relationship with her?" And I'm imposing.

"WE are moving in with her, actually. If she lets you come, that is. Our relationship-it's different. She's a good mother. Always did her best." She explained.

"So you're just moving back in with her because of me?" It didn't feel right to come into her life and cause even more problems than she already had.

"My mom wanted me to move in with her again anyway. So she'll probably be delighted. She should thank you, really."

She pulled out her phone and started to type. "What are you doing?"

"Calling my mom. Telling her we'll come over. I don't wanna ambush her, I'll also tell her you'll come with me..."

I watched her as she called her mom and anxiously biting her nails. I've never seen her do that, before. For a moment I thought she was going to panic, she was breathing in and out slowly like she was trying to prevent a panic attack. But the moment her mother picked up the phone, she was talking to her normal. A little nervous but overall normal. She was making what seemed to be small talk. Asking her if she slept and if she was feeling better. Then she was quiet for a second, her eyes drifting towards me. Layla told her about us coming over to her place.