Chapter 10: Almost Alone

Start from the beginning

You finished off your crème puff as Iroh slowly walked towards the cave you and Zuko sat in, his lips thinning as he looked over the golden teapot.

"Looks like you did some serious shopping." He stated, picking up the new item.

"But where did you get the money?" He asked, a frown raising to your lips.

"Do you like your new teapot?" Zuko asked, his amber eyes raising towards his uncle. Iroh sighed.

"To be honest with you, the best tea tastes delicious whether it comes in a porcelain pot or a tin cup." Iroh came closer to the two of you and squatted down, "I know we've had some difficult  lately. We've had to struggle just to get by. But it's nothing to be ashamed of. There is a simple honor in poverty." He smiled weakly towards Zuko, placing a hand on his nephews knee.

"There's no honor for me without the Avatar." Zuko said, your hand raising to rest comfortingly against his arm. The dark haired teen looked down to your hand, then back to the ground.

"Oh Zuko.." your smile saddened.

"Zuko.." Iroh sighed, "Even if you did capture the Avatar, I'm not so sure it would solve our problems. Not now."

"Then there is no hope at all.." Zuko tried to raise up but was suddenly pulled back down by Iroh.

"No, Zuko! You must never give in to despair. Allow yourself to slip down that road and you surrender to your lowest instincts.  In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength." Iroh shared his wisdom, hoping Zuko took it to heart. As a reply, the teen pulled away from his uncle and walked towards the forest to be alone. You sighed sadly.

"I didn't know capturing the avatar was still hurting him.." you admitted, Iroh nodding.

"That is something he will not let go of until he chooses to be free from the burden of his expectations from himself.. Zuko has always held himself so high, so being put down to a level like this," Iroh looked around the cave, "has rocked his core."

"Maybe we should just drop it.. I don't like Zuko when he's all irritated. He makes bad decisions." You suggested, Iroh shaking his head.

"You know better than that (Y/n). Confronting Zuko would be the only way for him to face the music." Iroh stated, you exhaled to his words.

"I know.." you sad in a dispirited tone.

"(Y/n), I know how hard it is for you to see Zuko in this state, trust me I know.. I want to thank you for being there for my nephew. I'm not sure he would have been able to go through all of this trouble sanely if it were not for you and your constant support." Iroh smiled, placing a hand against your shoulder. You placed your own hand on the older man's and gave it a soft squeeze.

"Thank you.. And I don't know where I would be if it wasn't for you, Iroh." You thanked him. Iroh nodded his head to you grinned.

"Of course."

That night Zuko didn't come back until the next morning, which you wanted to kill him for. You were about to until he began to speak.

"Uncle," he started, you pouting as you grabbed his arm. You wanted to get onto him after he finished his talking. "I thought a lot about what you said." Iroh turned to the two of you, wearing a calm face.