Chapter 8: Azula Lies

POV change. It will now be second person instead of third!

The two weeks straight at sea was horrible. It was hot, bright, and you, Iroh, and Zuko had no food or water the entire time. Plus, there was this awkward tension between you and Zuko. After their kiss, it was never brought up- even though it was all you could think about every time you looked at Zuko. He was acting so.. Cold. He only spoke of his annoyance the entire time you were at sea, feeling that since he's a prince he deserved the best water and food, not to be starved. You would listen to his useless banter but would never respond, but instead stare into the water and let your hand glide over the waves. You wished right now you were a water bender instead of a fire bender. Firebending never physically helped someone except for warmth, but even then you can make your own fire without fire bending. Fire's main goal was to grow and destroy, cause pain and heat. Yes it represented life and is based off passion and emotions, yet look what was being done with it.

Miraculously the three of you were able to land onto an island that Iroh some how steered to without an actual ship or map. His excuse was because he spent so much time out at sea it was easy to naturally guide your way to the place you were meant to be, but both You and Zuko thought you were lucky. You, of course, thanked the spirit or spirits that lead their way safely to the island and kept them alive, even without food and water.

At this time, Iroh was getting a massage by two masseurs, groaning in comfortability. You had skipped out on the massage to sit next to Zuko, wanting to some how start a conversation with him that wouldn't be awkward. You leaned against the wall nervously, nibbling across your bottom lip. You played with the ruby ring against your finger, spinning in slowly. You had made sure to grab it before you left Zhao's ship; it made you feel safe with the idea of Zuko so close. You looked over Zuko's shoulder to his left hand, smiling to yourself when you noticed the black ring still on his finger. He hadn't even considered taking it off. You let out a small 'ahem' as you scooted closer to Zuko, shoulder bumping against his.

"Hey." You whispered, Zuko raising his head slowly and moved his eyes to the you before back down again in a scowl.

"I know what you're going to talk about. That kiss didn't mean anything. I only did it because you were crying like a girl." Zuko spoke, tongue with venom. You were silent for a moment before leaning back against the wall, pulling your knees to her chest.

"You act like we didn't kiss before that-"

"My emotions bested me." He interrupted, you letting out a scoff and added,

"And so what if I act like a girl? I am a girl!... And it meant something to me." You huffed, fingers gripping against your pants legs.

"Then don't let it." Zuko breathed out, sounding careless towards you, looking towards the bushes that littered with flowers. Zuko looked down to the ring on his left hand, clenching his jaw tightly as he looked to the floor once more.

"Aaahhh... this is what I've been missing. Who knew floating on a piece of driftwood for three weeks with no food or water and sea vultures waiting to pluck out your liver could make one so tense?" Iroh hummed, soon raising from the table and walked over to the two of you, sitting down comfortably.

"I see. It's the anniversary, isn't it?" Iroh asked. You widened your eyes and raised your head. You had lost track of the days and time that you didn't even notice today was the day both you and Zuko were banished from the Fire Nation. The day your father betrayed you and let you be sent away because of his own mistakes.