Chapter 10: Almost Alone

Living in poverty was exactly what it seemed. Sitting in poor villages while begging for coins, Zuko complaining about how we're royalty, the hunger, the heat, and the men! You were used to being on a boat where you were treated kindly and by honorable men, but as a homeless earth citizen you were constantly harassed by men. For example,

"It's brighter than it was yesterday." You stated, placing your hand against your brow bone to block the sun from your eyes. Iroh hummed in agreement.

"It is. Maybe we should camp by some fresh water for a swim? Water always cools away the stress of the day." He smiled, you smiling back.

You turned your head back to look at Zuko, giving the teen a small smile. He was a man of little words, so just his eyes looking towards you was enough to make you feel comforted. That was until your shoulder was harshly knocked into, making you fall back towards Zuko. The prince caught you quickly, holding you back up by your shoulders before glaring at the man who just smirked.

"Move your broad out the way and maybe I won't knock into her." He stated, Zuko pressing his hand on your stomach to push you behind him gently.

"She's not some 'broad'.. who do you think you're talking to?" He asked in a low tone, reaching down towards his hip where his duel blades lied. The man looked down to Zuko's hand, then back to his face.

"You wouldn't dare." He smirked, Zuko taking a step forward before you pressed your hand quickly against his shoulder to stop him from starting anything.

"Don't Zuko. It's not worth it. Not here." You pleaded quietly, then nodded towards two earth officers who were watching closely from an outside bar. Zuko slid his blades back into place, the man begging to walk off.

"All bark, no bite." He chuckled, Zuko quickly pulling at his blades before Iroh suddenly yelled out,

"That man fire bent!" Catching the attention of the police, the man that insulting you looking confused as he was suddenly tackled to the ground. You and Zuko froze for a moment before Iroh whispered,

"Run!" Making the three of you leave the area as quickly as you could.

By the time you got to a quiet alley Zuko was already looking at you like you were crazy. You raised yourself up from being hunched over after catching your breath, your brow raising to his face.

"What is it now?" You asked, Zuko crossing his arms.

"Weren't you angry? Why didn't you do something?" He asked, a smile raising to your lips as you placed your hand against his forearm.

"I have you to be angry for me." You answered, Zuko frowning

You had been getting along more with Zuko but that came with a price. Questioning him always made him angry, especially whenever it was about all this new food and money he was supposedly 'finding'. That's what you hoped he was doing, though it was obvious he was probably stealing from the village that they passed through at night. You hated that he was stealing but at the same time it was nice to be able to eat a pastry for the first time in a month— and the fact he brings back things just for you. You forgot how much you hated your shoes until Zuko suddenly brought you a pair that was much more comfortable and cute than your current ones. He listened to you when you complained. The fact he was listening made you happy- happy enough to ignore the food and coins that he collected.

Iroh couldn't ignore it though.

Zuko had just brought back new things for you, Iroh, and himself. The main item was a new teapot for his uncle which he thought the older man would be excited about. Zuko seemed at least pleased a little bit by the fact you were happily eating at the cream puffs he had surprised you with. He thought your love of sweets were.. Cute, though he would never tell you that.