Chapter 21: Whispers Amidst the Festivities

Начните с самого начала

Emilia's facade of ladylike poise crumbled before Elara's eyes, revealing the raw, unbridled jealousy that simmered beneath the surface. Her grip tightened on Elara's arm, her nails digging into her skin as she leaned in closer, her breath hot against Elara's ear. "You don't understand," she hissed, her voice laced with desperation. "Cedric belongs to me. No one, not even you, will come between us."

Elara winced as Emilia's words struck a nerve, the intensity of her emotions almost palpable in the air between them. "Emilia, please," she pleaded, her voice tinged with urgency. "You need to listen to me. Lysander told me himself that he has no romantic feelings for you. He--"

But Emilia cut her off with a sharp glare, her eyes blazing with fury. "No, you don't get to speak," she spat, her voice dripping with contempt. "You, a lowly maid, dare to question Prince Cedric's feelings towards me?"

Elara's patience wore thin as Emilia's anger reached a boiling point. With a sudden surge of defiance, she squared her shoulders and met Emilia's fiery gaze head-on.

"Emilia, you need to get yourself together," Elara retorted, her voice firm and unwavering. "Even though I may be a lowly maid, I would never stoop so low as to manipulate someone into their own grave."

The words hung in the air between them, a tense silence enveloping the room as Emilia stared at Elara in stunned disbelief. For a moment, she seemed to falter, her anger momentarily overshadowed by the weight of Elara's accusation.

As the tense silence lingered, Emilia's facade of anger began to crumble, revealing a flicker of uncertainty beneath her defiant exterior. With a forced nonchalance, she attempted to play innocent, her voice thin and unconvincing compared to her earlier fury.

"I don't know what you're talking about," she insisted, though the tremor in her voice betrayed her true feelings.

But before Elara could respond, Emilia's demeanor shifted once again, her eyes narrowing with a cold determination. "I'll never forgive you for this," she spat, her words laced with venom. "And you'd better watch your back from now on."

With that ominous warning hanging in the air, Emilia spun on her heel and stormed out of the room, leaving Elara to grapple with the aftermath of their confrontation.

⊱⋅ ───── 🍂 ───── ⋅⊰

Amara's concerned expression softened into a warm smile as Elara appeared, but her curiosity was evident as she asked, "Where have you been? I've been searching for you everywhere."

Elara returned her friend's smile, though it didn't quite reach her eyes. "Just taking a moment to myself," she replied vaguely, not wanting to burden Amara with the details of her encounter with Emilia. "It's been quite a hectic day."

Amara nodded, oblivious to her friend's downcast mood as she eagerly launched into a lively recounting of the evening's events. "You missed quite the scene," she exclaimed, her eyes sparkling with amusement. "Some drunk fool decided to confess his undying love to a married woman, and her husband chased him halfway across the hall!"

Elara couldn't help but chuckle at Amara's animated description, her spirits lifting slightly at the infectious energy of her friend's laughter. "Sounds like I missed quite the spectacle," she remarked, her smile finally reaching her eyes.

Amara nodded enthusiastically, her laughter echoing through the room. "Oh, it was certainly entertaining," she declared, her eyes twinkling with mischief as she leaned in closer to Elara. "But let me tell you, the look on the husband's face when he caught up to that fool was priceless! I thought he was going to wring the poor man's neck right then and there!"

Elara laughed along with Amara, the tension from her earlier encounter with Emilia slowly melting away in the warmth of her friend's lighthearted banter. "I can only imagine," she replied, her smile growing wider as she allowed herself to be swept up in the excitement of the moment.

Suddenly, their laughter was interrupted by Lysander's unexpected approach, his presence casting a hush over their conversation. Elara's heart fluttered in her chest as she met his gaze, her cheeks flushing with warmth at his proximity. Amara's teasing grin only served to heighten her embarrassment as Lysander addressed her friend. "Mind if I steal your friend for a moment?" he asked, his eyes twinkling with amusement.

Amara's response was immediate and enthusiastic. "Of course not!" she exclaimed, her tone playful as she shot Elara a knowing look. "But be warned, she's a handful!"

Elara rolled her eyes at Amara's playful antics, though she couldn't deny the flutter of excitement that danced in her chest at the prospect of spending time alone with Lysander. As Amara sang a teasing song and disappeared into the crowd, Elara found herself turning to face Lysander, her pulse quickening with anticipation.

Elara's heart skipped a beat as Lysander greeted her, his voice sending a warm shiver down her spine. "Hi," she replied, her voice tinged with a shy uncertainty as she met his gaze.

Lysander's smile was gentle as he observed her, a glimmer of amusement dancing in his eyes. "Do you like the festival?" he asked, his tone soft as he gestured to the lively scene unfolding around them. "This is your first time experiencing it, isn't it?"

Elara nodded, her cheeks flushing with a faint blush as she admitted, "Yes, it is. It's... It's quite different from anything I've ever experienced before."

Lysander chuckled softly, the sound like music to Elara's ears. "I'm glad you're enjoying yourself," he said sincerely, his gaze lingering on her face with an intensity that sent a shiver of excitement coursing through her veins.

"Would you like to take a walk with me?"

Elara's heart fluttered at the invitation, her cheeks flushing with nervous anticipation. "I would love to," she replied, her voice filled with genuine excitement. "Lead the way."