Chapter 23 - Rescue

Hermiones POV

I kept my head down as my cloak billowed in the wind. The hood kept majority of my face covered, but I didn't want to risk someone noticing me. I moved quickly next to Harry. I had caught sight of the locket as soon as the old bint had stepped onto the platform.

"The locket is around Umbridge's neck," I whispered leaving him to tell Ron and Theo. Half the order was spread out wearing dark black cloaks to blend in with the many death eaters around us. The other half stood in the shadows waiting for the sign to attack. Now that we had confirmation the locket was here, we had another mission to complete besides our rescue mission. Harry moved toward Ginny to relay the message. She nodded in my direction in understanding. I mumbled the same to Theo who passed it to Ron.

After spending a few more hours with Draco last night, I had returned to Grimmuald to help finalize the plan. I didn't want to leave him. It felt as if it physically hurt me to leave him there. I couldn't explain it, but I could feel my heart ache when walking away from him. The order members in charge took every note I said to heart and even adjusted their plans to them. I didn't realize how much they'd listen to me. Theo was a big help to these plans knowing more about these dark wizards and their plans than even they were aware. Our plan was chaotic, but smart. It would weaken beliefs that Harry was not fighting for all wizarding kind. It would throw a wrench in their plans. It would also help our horcrux hunt. Umbridge stepped to the podium in the center with the new minister standing beside her. He was a mousy looking man. Her high pitched voice rang through the streets as she cleared her throat.

"These prisoners have been judged and will receive their sentence today. These people have committed great crimes against our kind and must be punished." She waved her hand as the executioner stepped onto the platform. Some gasps were heard around the crowd. I locked eyes with Remus. He offered a slight nod in return to mine. "First we have-"

"All lies Umbridge," I spoke out. Using a new invention from Fred and George, the voice echoed all around the street. No one knew exactly where it had come from. Late in the night the twins had set their devices up all around Diagon Alley. They had moved swiftly in the darkness and appeared to be successful.

"Who said that?" She squeaked pulling her wand free. Those on the platform looked around frantically. Death eaters scanned the crowd looking for someone in particular. Remus just laughed. Arthur and Tonks caught on and smiled.

"You've gone and done it now you old bint," Remus laughed out. I couldn't stop my grin at that.

"You're lying," Ron said next.

"One mustn't tell lies," Harry spoke into his device. Before they could search further, I used my wandless magic to throw confetti into the sky. That was the queue to attack. While they would be distracted by the confetti, we would move in. It was a random thing to do, but Theo had been right. Death eaters were a lot like children. Easily distracted. Each death eater I passed, I sent a shock up their spine with my wand tip. I crumbled eleven before someone noticed me. A spell flew past my head soon after. From there the chaos got worse. Cloaks were shed as we started running full force into the fray. Remus raised him hands to where I could see them and I sent a spell to snap them. He started using his hands punching a death eater as he moved down the line untying the prisoners.

"Get the locket!" I hollered to the four who would understand.

"It's Harry Potter!" Someone gasped. My one goal was getting to Umbridge. Now that Remus had untied most of their hands, the prisoners were scurrying off to the alleyway where Mad-Eye stood ushering them to an apparation point. They were no longer my concern. I climbed onto the platform to see her shooting spells at random. She turned on me last minute waving her wand.