Chapter 20 - Protection & Plans

Draco's POV

It all happened so fast. This memory played out the exact way we saw it. The only change was the addition of three people to the two hiding down below. Dumbledore knew...it was a revelation for me. He winked. It was as if he was telling me it was okay. Snape had come flying up the stairs with his wand drawn.

"Kill him Draco," my evil aunt whispered in my ear. Greyback had schoolyard taunts dripping off his tongue. Even if I had tried, I couldn't do it. I watched the streak of green fly out of Severus' wand. The headmaster of my school fell off the tower. I felt as if my feet were rooted where they stood. Bellatrix's maniacal laugh bounced off the walls. The batty old bitch was dancing.

"We must go Draco," Severus said pulling me away from the scene. He pulled on my shoulder causing me to stumble. The walk to the forbidden forest felt long. Bellatrix threw spells into the night. The dark mark danced in the sky. The giant oafs little hovel had gone up in flames.

"Coward!" Potter screamed behind us. Even if he knew every single moment of this night, he played his part well. We had discussed it at lengths in that abandoned classroom. I took a moment to glance behind us. Theo and Weasley were holding Hermione back. Ginny raced after Potter. I stared at her before being pulled away once more. Once we had reached the forbidden forests edge, we apparated. Not a second after my feet hit the floor, I was struck with a cruciatus curse. The bitch's evil laughter rang out again. The spell was filled with hatred.

"Sad day for you my boy," Voldemort hissed once he had stopped casting the curse. "You failed Draco...Crucio!" I was hit again. My body spasmed roughly on the floor of my home. I bit my tongue until I tasted blood. This was just another one of his tests. If you scream while being tortured, you're not strong enough for his army. He hit me again and again. Once the spell had stopped he walked up to my body. "Maybe we can still save you." The hiss in his voice made me feel disgusting. "Get up!" I stood to my feet trying my best not to stumble. He walked to the door of our drawing room. "I'll be back next week with our new plans. You will not fail me again Draco."

"Yes, my lord." He nodded before apparating. I released my breath before swaying slightly. My mother grabbed my arm with her frail hands.

"Narcissa we must speak to you," Severus whispered to her. My mother nodded before leading us up the stairs. Once we had been secluded, my mother waved her wand and warded my bedroom. She turned to us awaiting what news we had. I sat silent as my godfather explained it all to her. Her face showed no emotions, but I could see it all in her eyes. A boy knows his mother. Fear was filling her eyes. Once the whole story had been divulged, she turned her eyes to me.

"What were you thinking?!" She hissed coming to my side. "Draco this is too dangerous."

"I know Mother, but this is what I want. The plans have already gone into action." She watched me with careful eyes.

"I cannot lose you..." I watched a tear fall down her cheek. I was all my mother really had left.

"You won't. With this plan, we will both come out of this alive." She nodded before wrapping me in her arms. Severus left as my mother broke down in my arms. I couldn't tell her the full story. She would never believe it and probably have me committed to St Mungos. I just held her as she cried and prayed to whatever god there was that this would pan out the way we saw.

1 month later

Hermione's POV

It was somber. I sat outside the burrow watching the birds fly. I knew Dumbledore would die, but it didn't have the effect on me like I thought it would. Now that I knew what he did to Harry, I didn't have many tears to shed for the man. He protected him all this time only for him to die in the end. He knew Harry would be killed to save us all and did nothing to stop it. Even if I knew Harry would be okay in the end, it didn't stop the slow bubbling anger I felt toward our former headmaster. It had been a month since he died. The first two weeks was spent preparing for the worst. I had made the decision to use an obliviate on my parents. I hadn't told anyone yet. I removed myself from their memories and sent them away. In the end, this was the best choice for them. I allowed myself the first night to cry for them. After that, I had to get my head on. We got Harry from the Dursley's soon after. Since then, we'd been at the burrow.