Chapter 9: Accusations

Começar do início

Reasoning with the prince and Alex seemed a little far-fetched at this moment. Instead, I looked at Adrian and posed the question: "Do you think I'm the demon king too?"

Adrian paused, his analytical gaze meeting mine. "The signs are certainly there. Your strength would also make more sense if you were the demon king."

And you were supposed to be the smartest mage prodigy...

"I have no reason to doubt Lydian's intuition or Cornelius's concerns," Adrian continued.

"See?" Alex jumped in, bolstered by Adrian's admission. "I should put you down before you can even start your reign of terror."

Cornelius drew his sword, the steel glinted ominously under the dining hall's lights, drawing gasps from the surrounding students.

I stared at Cornelius, my frustration peaking. The corners of my mouth twitched upwards in a wry smile, perhaps a small hint of a power trip. "You think you can beat me?" I said, my voice low and steady.

As I challenged him, a surge of my mana flowed out unintentionally, wrapping me in a dark aura I hadn't meant to unleash. It was more an involuntary reaction than an act of aggression, yet it served to unnervingly intimidate the room.

Cornelius, stilled under the weight of my mana, tightened his grip on his sword. But then, an unforeseen phenomenon occurred—the blade of his sword began to melt, just like wax under intense heat. The spectacle of a metal blade liquefying in such a manner drew gasps from the onlooking students, halting the escalating confrontation.

Just as the aura around me began to dissipate, a new figure stepped into the scene. His eyes were perpetually closed, yet he navigated the space with the ease of someone who could see all. "My my what an eventful lunch we have here," he announced, his voice calm but carrying a power that demanded attention.

Cornelius, now holding what resembled a lump of metallic goo more than a sword, looked on in confusion and shock, mirroring the reaction of everyone present. The standoff was broken, not by my doing, but by the intervention of this mysterious newcomer.

"Is this your doing!?" Cornelius shouted at the mysterious man. "I'll have you know this is a royal heirloom, destroying it is a high crime!"

The mysterious man, with his eyes still closed, let out a light chuckle, "Ah, young prince, I assure you, my intentions here are not to cause distress, but to instead promote peace. Check your sword again."

As Cornelius glanced down at his sword, the blade had a new form—a large, organic rose, complete with a stem and thorns. "This... this isn't funny" He seemed to murmur to himself.

Alex, stepped forward, demanding an explanation. "How did you do that? Who are you?"

"I am the newly appointed headmaster, Julius Agrippa," the man introduced himself, his voice holding a hint of amusement. "Can you really believe what you see?"

Glancing at Cornelius, I realized the sword was back to its original state. Was this Illusion magic? Such a spell was unfamiliar from my experiences playing the otome game, hinting at unexpected changes in this world.

Turning to me, Agrippa offered a nod of acknowledgment, "Ms. Vancourt, May I please see you in my office? Oh, but you're not in trouble, I need a moment with these boys here for a valuable lesson about jumping to conclusions and causing unnecessary panic," Agrippa stated.

"Are you seriously saying we are in trouble?" Cornelius questioned, "I'll have my father hear of this immediately!"

Julius Agrippa simply smiled. "Feel free to inform His Majesty. I will also share my observations, including your readiness to threaten Ms. Vancourt without substantial evidence. I believe the king would be most interested in learning about how his son conducts himself, especially considering Ms. Vancourt's recent commendation from the king himself for her cooperation and willingness to aid our kingdom."

The mention of the king's commendation seemed to hit Cornelius like a cold splash of water, his bluster momentarily faltering. The prince knew too well that his father wouldn't tolerate such baseless actions towards me. Especially not for the second time in a row.

Adrian, who had remained quiet during the exchange, placed a hand on Cornelius's shoulder, a silent plea for restraint. Alex, though clearly itching for action, seemed to recognize the futility of further confrontation, his fists unclenching as he stepped back.

Lydian, who had sparked the firestorm with her accusation, looked between me and the headmaster with wide, teary eyes, clearly regretting how the situation had escalated.

Inwardly, I felt a twinge of regret. My response, though provoked, had not been meant to cast Lydian in the role of antagonist. It was a moment of heightened emotions, a clash of misunderstanding and fear, that led to this point.

Julius Agrippa then turned his attention back to the room at large, "Let this be a lesson to us all. Fear and suspicion can lead to division and conflict, undermining the very fabric of our community here at Mystic Academy. We must strive for understanding and unity, especially in times of uncertainty."

With a final nod to me, he gestured towards the door of the dining hall, signaling the end of the confrontation. "Ms. Vancourt, please, accompany me to my office. As for the rest of you, I look forward to working with you all."

As I glanced around the dining hall, the hushed voices and averted gazes were unmistakable. Despite being the victim, I felt the weight of their judgment.

Whispers floated through the tense air:

"Did you hear what she said to Lydian? It was so harsh."

"Absolutely, and that display of power? It's hard to argue against her being the demon king with mana like that."

"Powerful or not, I wouldn't want to get on her bad side. Did you see how quickly everything escalated?"

This was a setback. Just when I thought I was gaining some acceptance, everything had reverted.