𝟬𝟭𝟬

"NO." VALERIA WHISPERED IN disbelief, the tears still flowing.

Suddenly, her eyes turned black. "Let him go."

At the speed of light, she tried to blast her mother back with her magic, but Thalassa, with centuries of experience, blocked the blow, then absorbed Valeria's magic, using her own powers.

"I'm sorry, sweet girl, but I'm afraid you've been grounded." Thalassa replied, her tone tender, but authoritative. Typical of a mother, but unsettling, given the circumstances. "You may be the Seventh, but you still have lots to learn. No more magic for you."

"We won't let you do this." Rachel added as she shook her head.

"Let us?" Trigon smiled, as if Rachel had just told a funny joke. "You two did this. You brought us here. Your purpose was to bring me into your world, and to bring her back from the grave." He gestured to Thalassa. "The whole journey you've taken with your friends, it's all been to make this moment happen."

"I couldn't be more proud." Angela added as she walked towards Trigon, and placed a hand on his shoulder. "You've given this world a gift."

"You never loved us." Valeria said as she shook her head. "You used us."

Suddenly, Thalassa grabbed her by the jaw. Her eyes were wide with fury. "You think I don't love you? You think that I've been doing all of this just for power? Or the crown?!" She shouted. "I did it for you! You, Valeria! I did it because I couldn't bear to be apart from you for a second, let alone two decades."

Her voice dropped in volume, but it was still loud. She spoke slightly slower too. Tears flooded her eyes. "I did it...because I wanted to see you on the throne. I wanted to give you the power to rule with an iron fist." Her voice cracked. "Don't ever think that your mother doesn't love you. Because she loves no one but you."

"Just let him go. Please, mother." Valeria pleaded, her eyes wide with fear.

"Look around you. girls. All there is here is loss, betrayal, and decay." Trigon said as he placed a hand on Thalassa's shoulder, trying to calm her down. Her grip on Valeria's jaw loosened slightly, but it remained. "Everyone you love will leave you by their own hand, or in ashes. Nothing lasts."

The girls both turned to look at Dick again.

"The only thing that awaits you is disappointment. You will lose everyone. It's heartbreaking, isn't it? Let your heart break. It's inevitable. And then you'll be free to join me. As for you, Valeria..." He turned to Valeria. "The orb."

She cocked up an eyebrow in confusion. "What about the orb?"

"It's not just an artifact." Thalassa shook her head. By now, her hands were cupping Valeria's face softly. "It's what makes you a God. You must transport the memories and the powers and everything in that orb into you...so you can finally be queen. Our future will be glorious."

"Uh, hard pass." They heard. It was Garfield. "Guys, we gotta go."

"Gar."

"Run!"

The three of them ran out of the room and tried to run out of the house.

Trigon sighed in exasperation. "They want to do it the hard way." He said to Dick, "You know what to do."

Dick nodded and walked in the same direction the kids ran.

"I should've prepared her better." Angela said to Trigon, while Thalassa observed intently. "We've waited too long to fail now."