𝟬𝟬𝟱

VALERIA GRABBED HER PHONE and called Dick. When he answered, he greeted her with, "You've got impeccable timing."

"Where in the Seven Hells did you go?" She asked.

"Chicago." He answered.

"You went to fucking Chicago?" She exclaimed. "I thought you were coming back here."

"Things got a little weird at our friend's apartment." He explained. "His name is Dr. Adamson, by the way. Doctor of what, I have no idea."

"Let me guess, he tried to kill you."

"He tried to cook me breakfast, actually." Dick replied. "His friends tried to kill me. Six of them. I got a feeling there's more where they came from."

"So basically, you took out six assassins by yourself? Impressive." Valeria nodded in approval.

"Robin's got some skills." After a moment, he asked, "Any update on the family?"

"Uh...about that..." She trailed off.

"Valeria." He said sternly.

"They're...kind of dead." She reluctantly admitted.

"Valeria—" He began, but she cut him off.

"I didn't kill them, I swear!" She exclaimed. "I just walked in and they were, like, dead. They're heads were blown off. Literally. Honestly, you're lucky you're not here, it's pretty gross."

"Hell of a coincidence." After a second, he groaned, "Ah, fuck."

"Are you getting head right now?" Valeria asked with a laugh.

Dick laughed and shook his head. "You're insufferable. I'm just dealing with something. Look, you guys need to get out of there. I'm at 888 North Lakeshore Drive. It's less than an hour. You'll be safe here."

"You sure?"

"It's a safe house." He replied. "It has safe right in the name."

"If you say so."

VALERIA, KORY, RACHEL, AND Garfield entered the room with Dick. Already in the room, they saw a boy around the same age as them.

"Not bad." Valeria thought. "His hair could use a little bit of fixing though."

But when Jason saw her, his eyes widened.

She was beautiful.

The way she walked with the grace of a queen, the way her hair cascaded effortlessly down her shoulders, the way her violet eyes were so easy to get lost in...

Her.

"His dopamine level is rising." She heard Thalassa. "It's because of you."

Valeria tried to hide a smile. Did this boy really think she was cute?

"Not just cute. Beautiful."

"Who're your friends?" The boy asked, his eyes still locked on Valeria.

"Not important." Dick replied.

"Who's he?" Kory asked and gestured to the boy.

"Not important." Dick repeated.

"Anybody want a brew?" The boy asked.

"Yeah, I do." Garfield replied, and went to grab one, but Dick stopped him.

"No, he doesn't. Nobody wants a brew."

"What's up with you, birdie?" Valeria asked. "Someone steal an egg from your nest or something?"