Chapter 4: Spira

It was all so overwhelming. I wanted nothing more in the entirety of all the realms to be back home. Only for me to land in a world that I do not belong in.

How cruel.

Jesse was talking to Radar, Lukas started the furnace and Aiden sat on the other side of the stools chewing on an apple.

They were just like they were in my own world, but... not. Even this Jesse seemed to be more like me than I am. Where did I lose myself? When did I?

Never lost. Always home. I rubbed my temples and sighed. Liars. I am the farthest I've ever been from home, and so, so very lost.

I caught Aiden eyeing me and decided to start a conversation. It felt so hard yet good to talk to someone again. Like relearning an old skill.

"Uh, sorry about the nose." A very rusty skill, I silently cringe to myself.

He glanced up at me and touched the bandaid on his nose bridge. "Er, it's fine, I forgot about that." He peeled at the edge of the sticky cloth and winced. "Sorry for tackling you." Aiden gingerly patted the bandaid back in place.

A small flare of anger and frustration flared up remembering it. 𝘐 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘳𝘶𝘯𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨, 𝘴𝘰 𝘤𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘦. 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘧𝘭𝘪𝘤𝘬𝘦𝘳𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘣𝘭𝘶𝘦 𝘣𝘦𝘤𝘬𝘰𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘮𝘦. 𝘛𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘸𝘢𝘴𝘯'𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘳𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘭𝘥, 𝘐'𝘭𝘭 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘥 𝘮𝘪𝘯𝘦, 𝘯𝘦𝘹𝘵 𝘵𝘸𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘺 𝘩𝘰𝘱𝘴 𝘰𝘳 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯 𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘯𝘦𝘹𝘵 𝘮𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘐 𝘬𝘯𝘦𝘸, 𝘮𝘺 𝘧𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘨𝘳𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘥.

I didn't make it back to the network because of him.

"Eh, that's over now, besides I'm a little glad you did, I don't think I could've went any longer without a break."

He shifted in his seat to better face me. "Go any longer- portal hopping?"

"Yeah."

"How long have you been doing it for?"

I pause to think. "I think I was, twenty? When I got lost..." I counted my fingers. I know I stayed in a realm atleast a week to month each- or more? "Five, eight years give or take."

Aiden just gaped at me. I awkwardly adjusted my collar and laughed. "-but I could be wrong, it's hard to tell."

"Wh, what happened during that time?" Radar peeped into the conversation.

I glance around to realize I've got the attention of the whole room and wish I could shrink into a tiny ant and scuddle away.

"Most of it was a blur to be honest. There were so many diffrent places, and I skimmed through them as quickly as I could..." Many homes. Many together.

"How did you travel through all of those worlds?" Radar sounding so young and full of wonder. I missed that. But what do I tell them?

"The sculk. I found that I could use it to get place to place, somehow, I still don't really fully understand how it works..."

"Is it, I dunno, safe? Stuff looked pretty- creepy..." Jesse asked. Man, I still can't get used to that.

"Kinda, I wouldn't trust it entirely though." My hand raised instinctively touching the small itch that bloomed across my face.

There was a small pause. "How do you mean?" Aiden raised a brow. Please don't get suspicious. Please don't run me out.

"It's just, I don't know everything about it so I just try to play it safe is all."