Chapter 43 - Reunion

Three years later, S city.

When Xu Bai Chuan uploaded a new chapter of his novel, a blue ‘1’ instantly appeared on the private message box of the website. He pressed on it, not in the least surprised to see the notification:

Reader 8012 sent you a submarine.

Xu Bai Chuan was currently a full-time contract writer with a website, and the submarine was the most expensive gift available, costing 1000 yuan each. Ordinarily, readers only chose to send this type of expensive gift to an author they extremely like. And ever since a year ago, this 8012 started to follow Xu Bai Chuan’s novels, sending a submarine within moments of the new chapter being uploaded every time.

There were many instances he had suspected this person to be Tang Jin, but he found that this account followed multiple authors at the same time and had a record of sending presents after requesting someone to investigate the matter. Moreover, the linked ID user wasn’t Tang Jin at all. Even after he sent a private message urging the reader to not send such precious gifts, as if his messages were left unread, the reader continued sending gifts every day without fail. On top of that, the reader would leave messages below each chapter, and also type long comments every few days. Since he failed to persuade the person, he just assumed this was his die-hard fan and let the reader do as one wished.

Speaking of Tang Jin, they haven’t seen each other since parting at the hospital three years ago.

All he wanted that year was to leave H city as soon as possible. It was only when he checked his plane ticket did he realize that his flight was set for S city, the city his father Xu Yunhai resided in.

After divorcing Xu Bai Chuan’s mother, Xu Yunhai quickly remarried but good times don’t last forever and he divorced once again, with no intentions of remarrying in the future. Despite his skyrocketing career, only two men, he and Xu Yuanshan lived in a large home. Hence, he had called Xu Bai Chuan multiple times in the past telling him to come over, but Xu Bai Chuan was devoted to Tang Jin at the time and was too busy to worry about anything else.

At the beginning of Xu Bai Chuan’s life in S city, Xu Yunhai was determined to make up for his mistakes of the past, being extremely attentive towards his son, but restrained himself after Xu Bai Chuan made it clear that his forcedness made everyone uncomfortable. After three years, their relationship wouldn’t be considered joyous, but there was still a taste of a family.

Not longer after Xu Bai Chuan arrived in S city, Tang Jin had already called him numerous times so he shelved that phone and set up a new number with Xu Yuanshan’s ID. And so, his world became completely tranquil. Along with the passing of time, the grudges in his heart were cleanly erased. Although it was hard to rediscover that burning feeling from those days, it’d be fine to continue leading this simple life.

His brief recollection of memories related to Tang Jin was abruptly cut off by a loud ringing. Xu Bai Chuan picked up his phone and taking a look at the caller ID, he found that it was a landline phone number with B city’s area code. After thinking it through, he decided to pick up.

Xu Bai Chuan: “Hello, who is this?”

After some static on the other end, a woman spoke in a very thick B city accent. “Hello, are you Xu Yuanshan’s family?”

Xu Bai Chuan immediately sat up straight and replied, “I am. May I ask where you are?”

“Oh, it’s like this. This is the local police station of XX sub-bureau in B city. Xu Yuanshan was involved in a brawl and must be detained for 5-10 days in accordance with our nation’s laws. Since he’s still a minor and this was a first-time offense, the circumstances aren’t that severe. His punishment can be lightened to a 400 yuan fine. But a guardian must personally retrieve Xu Yuanshan. Do you have time to come over now?”