𝐯. the lovers of life and death

Start from the beginning

Death wasn't as scary as she thought he would be.

   She broke her vow with an unexpected joke, laughing as she struggled to breathe, "You're breathtaking."

   "Was that... a pun?" Thanatos blinked.

   "I didn't mean to say it," She said, placing her book down as she stared up at him, "you just... caught me off guard."

   "Death does that, sometimes," He shrugged, an amused hint in his voice, "I do that, sometimes."

"I know who you are," Mika mumbled, shutting her eyes once more. "or more like what you are."

"A god?" Thanatos asked, "Death himself?"

"Handsome, actually." Mika snorted.

   He didn't seem surprised. But she was surprised to find that her breathing was slowly coming back to her... did he not want to bring her to the Underworld?

"I do get mistaken for Eros, sometimes. But do not assume your flattery will get you out of this fate." He stated.

   "That wasn't flattery," Mika hummed, "that was a statement, unless you're a self-centred idiot. Are you?"

   "I'd assume the idiot," Thanatos said, "would be the one ignorant enough to patronise a god."

   Mika flashed him a smile. "Well you can't punish me, can you? You're already doing your job."

   He cracked a smile back. "I suppose. Though I don't believe death is necessarily a punishment. Just..."

   "Just inevitable." Mika scoffed.

   He couldn't seem to break away his gaze, staring down at her. It seemed like he was curious.

   "I don't feel like I'm dying, anymore." She blinked, noticing how awake she was and how she hadn't felt this normal in... a while. "Maybe the flattery did work."

   Thanatos almost laughed. "It wasn't that, no. I'm just intrigued. Mortals and immortals alike... dislike me."

   "Really? Well, are you 'intrigued' enough to cross me off of your 'Souls to Reap' checklist?" Mika said, sarcastically. Her laugh trailed off when she noticed his face. "Wait... you actually have a list?"

   "Enough," He mumbled, "now if you'll excuse me..."

   Mika could feel herself being pulled into the Underworld, the weird tug in her chest as her breaths grew shorter. "Wait!"

   Mika was stunned, the feeling had stopped once more. She said, "Have you ever made a deal with a mortal before?"

   "No," He hummed, "you mortals can be conniving. I am sure as a half-blood you know of the myth of Sisyphus... I learnt my lesson. It is also my duty, and Death must remain impartial."

   "Okay, well," She swallowed, "you said I intrigued you. Have you ever been intrigued by a mortal?"

   "A few times," He admitted, tilting his head, "though I cannot say any have been as intriguing as you, I suppose."