𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐚𝐥𝐠𝐞𝐫𝐧𝐨𝐧 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐬𝐲𝐜𝐡𝐢𝐜

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 | 𝓯𝓸𝓻𝓮𝓿𝓮𝓻

"I MEAN, REALLY, KAT, IT'S not that big of a deal

"I MEAN, REALLY, KAT, IT'S not that big of a deal. It's only a..." Jake looks down to the phone he had stolen off his best friend for a few minutes. He nods. "Yeah, it's only an hour drive! Plus, I'd pay for petrol, and the... well, the bribes." The woman arches an eyebrow at him. "You know, in case we have to bribe the security guards to get upstairs. So, we could leave at lunch and just come back to our shift maybe, like, a few hours late?"

Sighing heavily, Katherine sidesteps around a trash can that had been carelessly tossed over. Her and her fellow detective walk toward the Ninety-Ninth precinct that looms over them at the end of the street. She glances over at Jake in exasperation. "Let me get this straight," she begins. "You want to visit Nakotomi Plaza on a Wednesday, while we're both swamped with cases at the moment, and arrive back late to receive the wrath of Holt?"

He takes a sip of his coffee. "Pretty much."

Her eyes narrow ever so slightly. "And you think we'd have to bribe the guards?" Of course they'd have to bribe the guards. She shouldn't even be surprised.

"Well, technically it's a working office building, so..."

"Jake!" He looks over to her hesitantly. "Dude, I'm all for this, really, I am. But could you choose any other day? Like when we actually have days off?"

He scoffs. "What's your point here?"

"Because I know for a fact that you will not spend half an hour max in the building you've fantasised about being in your entire life."

Jake sips the drink again. He swallows. "Why are you so frustrating?" Kat rolls her eyes as she opens the doors to the lobby for him. "Honestly, one minute you're encouraging me, then the next you're saying no. Make up your damn mind, woman!"

The pair of detectives walk past a few of the uniformed officers conversing with one another and over to the elevator. Instead of arguing like she knows he wants her to, Kat stays silent for a minute. Once they enter and she presses the button for the second floor, she tries to switch the topic of conversation to something he's a little less passionate about. "So we've known Holt for a week, and you didn't seem too scared when I mentioned his possible wrath..."

"That's 'cause I'm not scared of him, Katie. I'm-"

"Not scared of anyone, yeah, I know," she finishes with yet another eye roll. "Just give him a chance, I'm sure once we get to know him a bit better things will be a little more fun," she adds with a smile.