Is telling half-truths even lying?

The mermaid swam fast in the murky sea waters, the current aiding her as the travelled further and further away for the partying boat, away from the people and the isle. Heading to wide expanse beyond it.

"Right," she muttered spotting the struggling tenacles, being pulling by the current and waters around. A current she may or may not have been controlling. The waters still, as the dark-skinned teen was turned towards her. "I-" Uma started only to be stopped with a hand.

"Don't, you are not on the isle any longer Uma." The mermaid started, sea blue and green hair dancing about her shoulders as the mermaid stared at her fellow sea creature. "You are not the top dog, there are bigger and more dangerous things in the seas. Things you never heard from when on land – things we don't want to disturb. So, we are going to learn control"

Her toned left no room for dispute, her warning sinking in as reality hit home. All truth, the sea held many secrets most needing to be left undisbursed. "And then Uma we shall talk"

-x-x-

It had finally happened the intervention. Marianne found herself surrounded by her friends, both old and new, all looking expectantly down at her. She was lounging in her purposefully built bathtub, the white tub, big enough from both herself and her tail. She settled down, arms leant against the rim of the tub, wet hair cascading down her scaled back.

She sent the group an awkward smile, "so" she started, staring at the group occupying her bathroom. "What do I own the pleasure?"

"You have some answers for us" Mal started taking charge.

Ahh, they were finally going to bite the pufferfish. She gestured for the group to ask away, wondering what the group was going to ask.

"During the coronation a trident appeared," mal started while Evie continued, "we had already asked about and we know that Conjuration is not a power of yours"

Carlos glanced at the girls before turning back towards the mermaid, "we wanted to know about it"

Ben chuckled, giving her a knowing look.

"You mean this?" with a flick of her wrist the coral trident appeared. She gripped it loosely as the others stared at it in surprise. "it's a family tradition to learn how to wield it." another flick and the weapon vanished, "it lives in my bracelet. Technically speaking were not supposed to have weapons on one person, haste why only ben knows"

"Why does he get to know and not you're sparring partner?" Lonnie pouted.

"I found out by accident," ben grimaced at the memory. "I may have dragged her into a room and made her jump."

"And you ended up with three pointy spears ends almost stabbing you. But you seem to never learn" she pointed an accursing finger at the young king.

"true"

"When was the last time that happened?" asked a curious jay.

"When I told marianne about our first date, and she told me I told you so"

"I did not!" she protested. "I didn't say it in those exact words"

"You knew!?"

"He suddenly started acting strange, and it was a precaution. I wouldn't be his bestie if I didn't have his back" she defeated herself. "Okay next question?"

"How did you get though the barrier?"

"I swam though" she raised an eyebrow giving them a really look. It was the truth, maybe not the whole truth but the truth, nevertheless.

"why'd did you help that pirate boy with the shark?"

Marianne sighed, "because I could, I couldn't let him become fish bait when I could have done something to stop it."

Ben smiled like a cat had caught the canary at his next words, "so it wasn't because of a handsome, leather wearing pirate"

She tried to hide the growing blush that threaten to colour her check's, "don't know what you are on about" she lied, oh seaweed, though none believed her. Old friends knew she was terrible at lying having encountered it before but for the VKs this was something new.

They could read her like a book – her tales were many, it hit them like a ton of bricks she couldn't lie. Which meant that at no point had she lied to them as it would have been obvious. Not being able to lie was something unheard of to the VKs having grown up in a place where lying was second nature.

Ben continued his tease, his revenge for all her teasing! "So, it really wasn't because of the brown eyed pirate?"

"Stormy blue actually" she froze – her mouth having moved before her brain had worked. Gods...

She wanted to skin deeper into the tub, but she doubted the crystal-clear water would provide her with much cover. She'd fallen into his trap....

"Who knew you'll fall for a bad boy" Jay grinned, while Lonnie rolled her eyes, "I think it more a sea loving pirate that caught her eye rather than 'bad boy' plus he's a good fighter and couldn't take his eyes off you during the swordfight"

"A mermaid and a pirate who would have thought?"

Marianne sent a mock glare towards the king sent her a cheeky grin back.

Mal who'd been quite for a while digesting the information suddenly spoke, asking a question that had been on her mind for a while. "Whose you family?"

"My kin? I have many, were quite a big inter-locking old family, spread wide and large. We tend not to tell people about others as it can get a little bit complicated, and there's a lot of drama." too much drama the more she learnt about it all.... "But some are in the sea, some in the sky and some" she stared intently into the eyes of her cousin, "some are on land, so close we can give each other a hug"

There, that's a big clue to who her family were. Maybe two if they really investigated it.   

To be continued..... 

annnnnd that my lovely readers is the offical end of book two! onto the finally book! were there may be hidden twists to discover.... or a bit  of spice! or im just gonna tease you all! 

hope you are all enjoying it! love reading the comments and stuff! 

more chapters to come! 

happy sailing xx