13.1 • The Worst Birthday Surprise Ever

Start from the beginning

"But you'll like who made it!" Pascal answered back, as he drank his orange juice.

"I don't get it. Who? Mei?"

Pascal replied with a smirk. "Nope. You'll see."

  — — —   

[7:20 a.m.]

I kissed my dad goodbye and jogged towards the door to get to my bike when Pascal blocked my way. He was twirling his car keys in his finger and pointed to the door towards the garage. 

"I'll bring you to school."

"Does that mean I'm taking the bus home?" I asked, a little bit confused, as I was opening the door that leads to the garage.

"No, someone will bring you home."

"May I be aware who this someone is?" I asked again, as I climbed inside the passenger seat of Pascal's jeep, securing my seat belt in place. He turned his keys to the ignition as his jeep roared to life.  As the garage door opened, he stepped on the gas and drove away.

What was Pascal trying to do? I mean, the breakfast was enough.

"You'll know who this someone is when we get to school." He then turned the dial of his radio and Escape Plan Cody's song All Shook Up blasted inside the car.

"Ooh, I love this song!" I exclaimed, trying to ignore what he said and began bobbing my head up and down, singing along with the lyrics.

Escape Plan Cody was one of my favorite rock bands, setting the bias aside, as they actually originated here in Alcovix, Massachusetts. In fact, they were Hartsmith High's proud alumni seven years back. The lead musician's little sister, Avery, happened to be friends with Pascal, so I've met the band once, and they were really nice. 

I've never been to any of their concerts though, and they were having a hometown concert tomorrow! Unfortunately I couldn't go since the contents of my piggy bank didn't suffice. I'll probably try to see them next year and hopefully they'll hold a concert in New York by then.

"How timely," Pascal mentioned, drumming his fingers at the steering wheel to the rhythm of the music as he also started to sing along with me.

  — — —   

[7:46 a.m.]

We reached school fifteen minutes later, as Pascal pulled a stop near the student parking lot. The students that were scattered in the lot were staring at my brother's jeep, as if they've just seen a vehicle for the first time. I began to feel a little uneasy. Almost everything that Pascal did or didn't do attracted so much attention. Good thing the tint of his jeep was dark enough.

I unlocked my seat belt and was about to go down, when Pascal tapped my shoulder.

"Huh?"

He took something out from the middle compartment of the jeep and tossed a white envelope that landed on my lap. "Happy birthday, little sis."

I darted my eyes down, and turned to Pascal, sending him a questioning look. "Lunch money?"

He rolled his eyes at me in return. He must think I was kidding. "Just open it!"

I did as I was told, slowly tearing the envelope and inserted my hand in it. What I felt was not money, that was for sure, but it was similarly rectangular in shape and was rather smooth. I took it out from the envelope and I was revealed with two concert tickets.

My eyes widened as I read the tickets. "Rock Steady Nation Presents: Escape Plan Cody—Oh my gravy—Take It or Leave It Tour—Ah!" I screamed, hoping that my piercing voice didn't penetrate outside the jeep.